Format: Hardcover|Change

on 26 April 2011
If you, or someone you know is interested in digital photography and you/they own a DSLR camera then I would definitely say it's worth getting as it talks you through the basics such as camera types, lenses, how they work and such like but the best bit for me personally is the 'Inspirational Projects' section of the book and has given me some fantastic ideas. Definitely worth the money even paying the RRP for the book it would be a good price but at under £13 it's a bargain! Nothing to say bad about this book at all!
on 21 April 2011
This book is an excellent reference book for the novice photographer. I have been subscribing to "Digital Photo" magazine and also "Practical Photography" magazine for over 1 year now and wouldnt be without them they have both helped me enormously with my photography and image processing software e.g. Photoshop ect. The book is filled with excellent information from choosing cameras, lenses and essential gear you may need in your kit bag,camera settings, projects and imaging techniques to a great section on raw conversions. Out of all photography books that I have (quite a few) this will be the one I reach for first again and again. I would highly recomend this book to anyone who needs knowledge or information about anything to do with photography as it is all covered in this book. An essential purchase for a very affordable price do not hesitate to buy.
on 10 May 2011
I love taking photos and the idea of being able to use Photoshop, but I was continually calling my children for help while getting so frustrated wanting to send the computer out of the window. This book is fantastic, it explains how to use Photoshop so well, step by step, I am so pleased when I can complete a project. How the book explains ways to use the camera in the first place is brilliant also.
on 17 September 2012
An excellent guide for novice / amateur photographers alike, you can always learn things from books like this, no matter what level of photography you are at. Contains information on choosing cameras, lenses and essential gear that you may need to have in your bag, covers camera settings, projects and imaging techniques, plus a section on raw conversions. The projects section may give inspiration if you are flagging on what to take pictures of, as we sometimes do.

Like any reference book, you take what you want from it, but all in all not a bad book to have on your bookshelf and I can highly recommend it.
on 20 January 2012
This is a fantastic book for anyone interested in developing their skills with the camera and then learning the basic skills of Photoshop. It really takes one buy the hand and leads you through each aspect of using your DSLR.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2012
It's a great book for learning the ropes - clean, simple layout and obviously put, so it's all easy to understand. I already knew a bit about photography before reading this so whether it's ideal for a complete beginner I can't say, but it was really informative on things I thought were complex to understand, such as what a full-frame camera is.

The one criticism I do have though is the photoshopping techniques - this might be just me though as personally I don't like the manipulation side of it all too much, but there's a lot of putting fake skies and people into photographs that weren't there originally, and personally even the final outcome in the book looks really fake.

There's no denying it's a great reference book, and though some pages can be quite menial and boring, it's a good guide to take what you need from it.
on 30 April 2012
This book is a great place to start if you are thinking about or have just bought a DSLR, it gives you tips on what to look for in a camera, tips on buying lenses and other pieces of kit, and lots of easy to understand information on how cameras work and what you should be doing to achive the most out of you camera. Just about to ordered a second copy for a bithday present for a friend its that good!
on 2 June 2012
very informative manual,one you can refer to for information on all kinds of photography skills. learn about all types of cameras, lenses and accessories you might need to enjoy your hobby. i say "hobby", because thats what photography is to me. as an amateur i find this very helpful.
on 23 February 2012
This book is amazing. My partner got it for me as it was well reviewed. I've been on a photography course and whilst the course is great and I'm learning lots from it this book is a great additional to reference from it and look up things I'm not sure on etc. the pictures, diagrams and content are well put together in a non technical way so it's very easy to understand - perfect couldn't be happier! It's that good I recommended it to my photgraphy course colleagues and three of them have now purchased the book! Buy it you won't regret it, enjoy learning a new world.
on 7 November 2013
The first half of this book is pretty interesting, however the second half is dominated by tutorials on Photoshop and Elements... So if you don't use those programmes (as I don't- I use Abobe Lightroom) it won't be of much use to you.