5.0 out of 5 stars Best vintage knitting book I've seen, 22 May 2012
beccalikesbooks (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Knitting Vintage (Hardcover)
I really love this knitting book!

I did a lot of browsing for vintage knitting pattern books, and in my opinion this one had the nicest patterns and things I'd actually like to make.

It's beautifully laid out, with patterns divided into different eras (20s to 80s) and a mood board and inspiration for each era. The photographs are big and the instructions are clear and thoroughly explained (UK knitting patterns, which I think is important to know as I hate buying pattern books and realising they're American and having to convert!). Here are some of the patterns that I love:

20s Fringed Flapper top, String of Beads, Cloche hat

30s Hollywood-style beret (snowflake-pattern)

40s Twinset sweater and cardigan, Emerald turban, Lacy peter pan collar

50s Dolman sleeve sweater

60s Chunky aran cardigan

70s Extra-long stripy wavy scarf, Easy poncho wrap

80s Leg-warmers! Glittery bat-wing sweater!

There is also a very comprehensive section at the back where they tell you not only about wool suppliers but places to get vintage fabrics, buttons etc. All together it is a great book with wonderful instructions and inspiring patterns.

[please not this review is from my blog, becca-likes-books.[...]. My blog review also includes pictures so you can see some of my fourite patterns!]

5.0 out of 5 stars Knitting Vintage, 13 Aug 2011
This review is from: Knitting Vintage (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is a book of knitting projects from the 1920's to 1980's. The historical imformation is very good and the pictures are superb!! I have started knitting the twin set and found the knitting instructions to be straight forward. I really love this book. If you are into knitting vintage then this is the book for you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Knitting Vintage (Hardcover)
I attend vintage events and was looking for vintage patterns. Most are difficult to get and expensive to buy seperate when you can get them. This book is lovely with a wide variety of patterns. I would recomend

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book but not enough pictures of the actual patterns, 28 Mar 2013
This book is beautiful. It has 5 patterns for each decade from the 20s to the 80s. The only thing is that there aren't many pictures of the actual items to knit or step by step pictures to help you follow the patterns. Only really suitable for expert knitters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautful & elegant, 16 Jan 2014
An absolute delight. This book lived up to previous reviews and more. Gorgeous vintage patterns, absolutely love it. I strongly recommend to vintage and knitting lovers alike!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage made easy., 24 Aug 2013
Well written and perfect layout. I like the fact that it's divided into decades. Each decade starts with an introduction to the fashion from the period and the author's inspirations. This will make it easier for the reader to try and make your own vintage patterns. Only dislike about the book: I feel like I've seen these patterns before. I miss a bit more exploration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Knitting Heaven, 10 Jun 2013
As the owner of several other vintage knitting books, I am very pleased with this book. I can't help drooling over the photos. The book is well researched and a commentary is given preceding every era. There are plenty of projects I will be knitting from this book, but it's a question of which one to start first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not really known., 6 Jun 2013
M. Mander - See all my reviews
This was a present for my granddaughter and I haven't heard how she is getting on with it at the moment

Knitting Vintage
Knitting Vintage by Claire Montgomerie (Hardcover - 14 April 2011)
Used & New from: 1.57