on 15 January 2010
What a beautiful book. I had bought a copy for a friend before seeing it on Amazon. I then bought it for my son in law for Christmas and I have never seen him so engrossed in a book on Christmas Day. He thought it was wonderful. I'm not a cricket buff but even I thought it was a marvellous book. There are so many little extras not found in other cricket books and such attention to detail. I keep trying to think of someone else to buy it for!! The quality of the book was superb as were the copies of scorecards etc within. Every page held yet another surprise as well as all the information one would expect.
on 10 February 2014
As a long time watcher of cricket and keen follower of the Ashes, this book retells much of what I knew already, but adds in lots of little pieces of ephemera that enrich that experience. As I haven't been able to follow the Ashes in real time since 1877 ( as I don't have immortality or access to time travel), being able to view and handle items that those who were there in real time might have seen/handled is a treasure in itself. I have gone back to the book a number of times, and have enjoyed recognising things that I knew from previous reading as well as being engaged by things that have enriched my previous knowledge of the subject.
An ideal book to while away the time with on a wet Ashes Saturday afternoon.