on 4 October 2008
I love these commando collections, I have all the commando collections that have been published so far and this is my favourite. I have been reading commando books since I was a kid as my grandad used to give me his when he was finised with them. My favourites were always the areoplane stories so I was delighted to find out that the next collection that would be published was entirely made up of them, and I wasn't dissapointed. The book contains 12 plane stories and has 783 pages in it so it is a hefty book, but don't let that discourage you. The pictures have been enlarged just like the other commando collections which really lets you see the excellent artwork. The stories themselves range from fighter stories with spitfires, to bomber tales with lancasters. Each one is well written and full of likeable characters, some with flaws but ultimatley with a boat load of courage. The stories in the book are all quite low numbers the lowest being 239 and the highest being 2159 and most are around the 900 mark and seeing as the current commando books are over 4000 issues a lot of people won't have read them. Even for die hard fans the collection is still worth getting. I cant recommend this book enougth, its a perfect gift for a kid or even a big kid like me.
on 4 October 2008
i was reading commando since i was 8 but being 22 have just got back into reading them thanks to the bumper volumes of the ageless storys of world war two which is a good way in reminding us of those who spilt enough of their own blood in ensuring the flames of freedom was never extinguished by the Nazis and Bandits at 12 0 clock is a reminder of what our boys of the RAF who in small numbers and on paper looked doomed to the massive number of planes the luftwaffe had at their dispersal only to be given a bloody nose by the few not just by our boys but for the many different nationalities who fled their conquered countrys.

a must read for all ages.
on 19 September 2008
When I was a child the Commando books with aircraft on the covers were always my favourites. My excitement was almost unbounded if the aircraft featured was one I could get as an Airfix kit the next time we were in Woollies.

I have bought and enjoyed all the other Commando collections, but this is the one I was especially looking forward to. It has not disappointed.

As with previous collections of this type, the pages are bigger than they were originally - about 25% - which is ideal for aging eyes. A potential downside is that 12 books in one binding make for quite a thick handful, but they appear to have sourced special aerospace specification lightweight paper because it is not that heavy to hold. Now we just need someone to develop a floating easel to aid extended bath-time reading

Yes, these collections are undoubtedly appealing to the big kid in all of us, but an amazing fact is that Commando is still being published now and recently celebrated its 4,000th issue. To my great delight it was an air themed story and this collection of 12 of the best airborne tales graphically demonstrates why it has enjoyed such a long and successful life.
on 19 February 2009
War comics actually are considered not politically correct or anyway a "bad lecture" for children. In Italy there were until 1990 some classic series like "Guerra d'eroi" (Heroes' war), a translation of these classic british war comics now reprinted in a "gorgeous" edition, made by selected stories in a bigger format. If you are "over 40" is a refreshing bath in old memories made by simple "black and white" plots (Anglo-american (and allies) were "The goods" - with some occasional exception - against German and Nippo "bad guys". Stories made by honour, sacrifice and fight against the "evil". If you are a teen don't miss these little masterpieces (for a comic, obviously) of the last century.
on 17 May 2010
After many years absence from reading Commando comics, I bought this collection hoping the stories would be as good as I remembered them. And to my delight discovered that they were. Apart from the nostalgia, it was great to read these wonderful stories again which are rooted in fact and pay attention to detail from the time. Ok, political correctness isn't served by these Commando comics but neither are they just "jerry" bashing either.

If you grew up with these and enjoyed them before, then buy them now. If you are new to these and have an interest in war stories or military history, them give them a try. I'd be surprised if you don't enjoy them.

Recommended
on 24 July 2013
Again this was a commando worth reading it was just full of action and the battle s were just as good. pure brill.
on 9 September 2009
Exciting stories in the entire collection.

The details of the airplanes of the war, with their fire power, armour, handling capabilities were very engrossing, and they actually got me searching on the net for Spitfire / Mitsubishi zero sen information.

I have one gripe about the binding - not exactly flimsy, but it could be made stronger, to make the brilliant collections last longer.
on 21 February 2009
I grew up reading these books, so when I saw this series of compilations, I had to have them. This aerial combat collection is brilliant! Full of tally ho!, bandits at 11 o'clock, villains and heroes. Rip roaring boys own stuff. Highly recommended.
on 4 September 2009
Anyone of my vintage (mid forties) will love these books - remember you are never too young to re-read them, or to discover them for the first time - superb stuff!!
on 9 September 2013
good condition all ok for a nice time with old war stories
Nice volume and all stories very interesting
I will buy more from you