Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 October 2012
I found this in a ship's library while on a cruise but I didn't have time to finish it so I bought the kindle version to read on the way home. It was so addictive, people caught in situations beyond their control or understanding. Excellent story.
on 9 April 2015
If you are a bit of a sci if computer buff then this may appeal to you. Quiet technical to work out in places and not really a light hearted read. Lots of characters, some more developed than others. I did get carried along with the story...wanting to know what the Daemon was capable of and why if was deployed. Ending sets up for sequel.

An interesting read but a little techy!
on 26 August 2012
Is Daniel Suarez the new Michael Crichton? This technothriller is extremely well written, edge of your seat book. Like Crichton, we are exposed to current and near future technologies within a story that won't let you go. The Daemon, the creation of and virtual embodiment of the late Matthew Sobol, a genius and developer of MMO games. The Daemon has a vision for the future and will use any method to achieve this. I think Daniel Suarez is the real genius, taking us on a terrifying journey, as police, the FBI attempt to take on the Daemon. This is a great new author for me and I can highly recommend this book.

Daemon
on 6 February 2014
My boyfriend insisted I read this; he's a tech geek and spent a long time explaining why it is all possible. As a variant on post-apochaliptic it makes good sense and is gripping. I found some of the prose clunky, and was irritated by the fact that all the women had to be gorgeous and sexy, what women there are. But it does leave you thinking, something you can't always say about a thriller. I'm looking forward to part 2.
on 14 February 2014
These two books are like watching the third Iron Man movie. Refreshingly awesomely different but know what you're in for. I'm in IT so didn't have a problem with the network/hardware references. I struggle to find good books to read because once I've found a good author I devour everything they've written. Hoping he writes more of these very soon.
on 7 August 2015
I was unsure when I first picked this book up. It felt like I'd just embarked on a well written cop drama, but then things seemed to start tilting sideways and just as quickly the other way. It got weirder and more techno as things went on. It leaves you questioning just who are the good guys and who are the bad. In the end I found myself gripping my kindle with white knuckles waiting for the next salvo of excitement to hit. And it is relentless, Daniel Suarez manages to deliver bigger and better shocks right up to the very last page.
on 17 March 2013
Daniel Suarez's grasp of technology, and how it could be developed and used (for good or evil) is brilliant in this book. As he develops the story he goes into detail about the technology, without ever distracting from the ever unfolding story. This is a must read for anyone who likes stories about technology.
on 6 August 2013
Fascinating, well-written and compelling. As the plot unfolds, the full reality of the author's vision is revealed. Much bigger than I expected, with some great one-liners and visual imagery. Definitely worth a read for those interested in how today's technologies, no matter how small, could one day rule the world.
VINE VOICEon 12 April 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was quite excited to receive this book as I usually love to read tech-thrillers, which is what I would class this book as.

In general the book goes at a good pace and can be a page turner in places. For me it went through stages of wanting to find out what happens next and then it would fall flat for a few chapters and I tended to lose interest. The story is a familiar one, ghost in the machine kinda thing, but seemed to have been refreshed slightly for today's audience.

The book did tend to delve into various character histories, which eventually turned out to be for no reason at all if the character was killed off fairly shortly after. Leaving me wondering what was the point. But on the whole I can't complain. The only let down was the ending, where it was kind of like a bad ending to a film, it just stopped. Normally you would expect a big ending or some big twist to the story line, but I was left disappointed in this instance.

Overall, I can recommend for a light read or if you're into tech-thrillers, but bear in mind that the ending isn't all that if you're expecting something to satisfy.
VINE VOICEon 11 April 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a bit of a 'techie' so enjoy books of this type. For me, the original classic is 'The Cuckoo's Egg' by Clifford Stoll. In a lot of ways, this is the 'internet enabled' version, updated 20 years after Stoll's. I really enjoyed the concept of the book with a crazy millionaire unleashing a software program that can control lives and corporations despite the death of the creator. I would agree with other comments though, that no single characters really get the space to stand out, and I think the book is worse off for that. The closest is Jon Ross, but he disappears for large periods of time. The final straw to knock this down to 3 stars is the fairly timid ending. I can only assume (and hope, because I would read it) a sequel is in the pipeline.

Overall though worth a read. If you haven't done so though, I would recommend Stoll's book above.