Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 May 2010
Those au fait with the nautical appellation of the WC will understand why I put this in the to read while on the bog category. Fascinating, arcane, revelatory, morbid, precise, pedantic, etc. etc. - well really stuffed full of stuff, especially nautical stuff. You wouldn't want to read it in one sitting. Mind you in extremis, perhaps it would keeping you going for hours. A great pick up and comment, 'Did you you know that....' tome. Lovely cover, nice design. Recommended.
I really enjoy these sort of books but this has to be one of the finest I have ever had the pleasure of discovering.
In each of its 384 pages it has dozens of amazing facts and information.
Not a single page is wasted including the index.

I pride myself on being well read which is short hand for being an know all but I can honestly state hand on heart that over 80 per cent of the facts and figures were new- and so dammed fascinating in reading them - new to me.

The closest I can get to how good it is that it is a written version of televisions QI.

It is well written. This is not a glib phrase I use but I really mean that the author Terry Breverton has really written the book very well indeed.

I had, as an Englishman, thought Britain and her navy tradition would be to the fore in a book about the sea but was presently surprised that the Americans do well out of this too.

The book covers everything to do with the sea from famous battles and ships to fish and cetaceans (whales). From chapters on Ports harbors and bays to Famous pirates, Maritime weapons and Mutiny- nothing that is connected to the seas and that is 'Quite Interesting' is not part of its subject matter.

This simply is a wonderful book that is a joy to read.

If you have any relative or friend that is one of those people who love to dip in and out of a book then this s the book for them.
Recommended 100 per cent.
on 21 April 2013
A very interesting book which really spiked my interest in certain stages of maritime History. It's broken into a load of very detailed sections with a comprehensive glossary which is very important in this type of book. I did like the beginning much better than the end, as it went into marine biology territory and I wasn't really keen on learning about that. This book in general was concise, information and gave interesting facts in academic-lite paragraphs but like so many books wrote for the layman, it had some gruesome details in there to keep it interesting.
on 25 November 2010
A friend loaned me this book two days ago.I was so impressed that I ordered a copy this morning. Beautifully produced with a stylish cover. An immense amount of most interesting information. A veritable bargain at the price. Buy!
on 27 January 2014
This is the third book I have of Brevertons and I am hooked. Can't wait for more to be released. I love the format and the stories are short and too the point so you don't get bored. Highly recommended
on 11 January 2013
This is an excelent guide for all nautaical sayings, slang and many other interesting anecdotes relating to the sea. Many interesting and historical facts included in this handsome book.
on 20 February 2013
I really enjoyed Terry's book both for its concept, and for the many surprises of trivia within its pages. A hearty well done, and a book that will not disappoint. thank you Terry.
on 14 December 2012
Interesting light reading. I found some chapters more quality than others, but perhaps that is just me. Overall must recommend in view of price.
on 3 November 2014
I couldn't put it down! Just packed with information at every turn, excellent. And well packaged and fast delivery, and great price too!
on 18 April 2013
This book is interesting, well written, colourful, entertaining and witty. I like the way it is set out and the curious nautical terms it contains. Most people would like this and to think some of our every day saying explained so well, who'd have thought that some of our phrases came from the 'senior service'!