5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading
Published on 6 Mar 2006 by WigBilly

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but some reservations - out of date information
Cheaper than many books, and just about small enough to take with you on a holiday when you might use the camera, but there are several fairly obvious problems:

Published on 7 Oct 2009 by Peter Biddlecombe

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 6 Mar 2006
If you're relatively new to the world of digital photography, or about to purchase a digicam, then you NEED this book - it's jam-packed with useful stuff! Starting off with what equipment you'll actually need, it looks at effective photo techniques for a range of subjects, together with creative tips to help enhance the resulting shots. There's an in-depth look at digital image-editing software, with plenty of inspiring examples showing the effectiveness of both basic & advanced techniques, all clearly explained in a jargon-free way. this is a pretty essential read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but some reservations - out of date information, 7 Oct 2009
Peter Biddlecombe "peterbiddlecombe" (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Digital Photography Handbook (Paperback)

In the section about about "How many megapixels", the pictures used to show larger images aren't very informative - the picture suitable for 5x7 prints is about 1.75x2.25, and the one that's apparently OK for 420mm x 594mm is 82mm x 91mm (units swap between inches and mm and you're left to do any conversion yourself). Obviously the full size pics would be too big for the book, but we could have at least a detail to represent the image quality at the size discussed, and/or a picture showing the relative sizes correctly.

In the Memory and Memory cards section, SDHC cards get barely a mention and there's some puzzling maths. We're told that a 16Mb card will hold about 50 standard quality shots and one high-quality shot. Then "A 32Mb card will hold around 10 high-quality shots and a 128Mb around 30." Why the number of shots on a card four times bigger than 32Mb is not "around 40", I have no idea. And it's all pretty irrelevant as a search for SD cards on Amazon failed to find anything smaller than 1Gb (eight times the size of the biggest card discussed in the book).

Zoom lens focal lengths: we're told that focal lengths are specified by comparison with the focal length of 35mm cameras, but this is followed up by "They are indicated on the camera lens in millimetres." The focal lengths shown on the cameras are usually NOT "35mm equivalent", and the book contains quite a few pictures of cameras which prove this point.

"Which computer" page: more outdated information: you're advised to buy a PC with a minimum of around "100 gigabytes (80 Gb)". Yes, it really does suggest that 80 and 100 are the same number! And this in a day and age when it's pretty much impossible to buy a new desktop PC with a hard drive smaller than 250Gb. Then we have "Another item to ensure you have in a PC is a 'fast' processor; the processor does all the computing for you. Intel is a well-known manufacturer that makes Pentium processors while another reputable manufacturer AMD makes Celeron processors." The unnecessary quotes around 'fast' are a classic sign of a writer who doesn't really know his subject, and sure enough AMD don't make Celeron processors - Intel do.

The general advice about taking photos all seems pretty sound, but on topics like composition there's not much that you couldn't lift wholesale from a book from the pre-digital era.

My single experience with the index was poor - on looking up "filters", you only get page numbers for the coverage of special effects filters in image editing software. If you want to find the (skimpy) coverage of the filters that go on the front of lenses, you must look under "lenses" in the index.

This is a fast-changing field and the information at the back of the book says "First published in 2005. This updated edition published in 2008". My guess is that the stale technical numbers are still there from 2005. If you claim that a book about fast-moving technical stuff has been updated, the job needs doing properly.

These may all seem picky little points, but each one does its bit to erode my confidence in the parts of the book where I need help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of book for the money, 23 May 2006
An excellent book, can't believe it was so cheap. This is a well written book with all you need to know about digital photography from what camera to buy to printing off your well executed photos. It is written in basic terms which is useful as I bought this book as a present for my old man who is a bit of a Luddite who now uses an Ixus instead of his beloved 35mm lump, and even he can follow it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Digital Photography Handbook, 28 Feb 2007
As I am a beginner in digital photography and just recently purchased a digital camera, I found this book to be very helpful and easy to understand.

Clear pictures are important to me to understand the basics of a digital camera. This book is recommended for beginners or intermediates with lots of advice in helping you choose the right camera for yourself. To me its a great book to start of with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 23 Sep 2006
A. Makowsky (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My first book on Digital Cameras and i can say it teachs basics, advanced levels and i highly recommend this book. its a steal at this price.

Easy to follow and nice clear images, laid out in chapters that make sence and in the right order for learning a digital SLR.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 20 July 2007
S. J. grace "Christopher Grace" (Reading,Berks. UK) - See all my reviews
I'm new to dslr and have just bought a D80, i found this book goes into detail in every area. It gives great pictures,10 out of 10.
But I would like a book to show you more pictures of how it goes wrong and how then to take the shot right. This book does a bit. Its a great book. I also bought "Scott Kelby's" "The Digital Photography Book" But this book is better for beginers

5.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start, 28 Jun 2009
Charles D. Roberts "The Jambo" (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photography Handbook (Paperback)
I have recently taken the plunge (I`m over 70) and bought a small camera which works with my computer. Starting from scratch, my only demands was to be able to take half decent photos, get them onto my fairly old computer and be able to edit and print them out. This book gave me a good grounding in the camera side, but didn`t cover the computer side. For that I got Everyday Digital Photography on DVD, which works great as I`m lazy and it shows you how to do everything. As a bonus, it also has video tutorials too which are very easy to follow.

I bought a Sandisk 8gb card which holds more than enough photos for my liking, and I can snap away and delete photos on my computer now. A great combination for anyone like myself looking for a great start, I got a Canon Ixus 80 which is a lovely little camera and takes stunning photos. WIth the Sandisk, this book and the DVD you have a fabulous setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Must for the digital photographer. Updated 2008 edition., 18 July 2008
D. K. Cain "Danny Cain" (Morepth, Northumberland. UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Digital Photography Handbook (Paperback)
I took up digital photography recently and bought this book, after been diappointed with another photo book.
This book is a must for the person new at digital photography. It goes hand in hand with my Canon 400D.
The book is very up to date,last published in 2008. I wanted how to learn how to take good photos and not just how to work in the dark room or editing pics etc;
I wasn't diappointed. This covers the purchase of a camera, the lens you need, other accessories, photo techniques etc; There are even tips on most of the pages, things to do and not do!
This book is a great reference and a valuable read for the photographer.

I highly recommend this book, especially for the beginner to digital photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great Book..., 11 Feb 2008
Luke Goymer "Luke Goymer" (Leyton, Lonodon, UK) - See all my reviews
I have brough this book , and the resaion is that its great. It covered everything I needed to get to the level I am now, I have had many a great experiance. Great Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read!, 28 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Digital Photography Handbook (Paperback)
I treated myself to a digital SLR in May 08 and bought this with 2 other books to learn all I could about the subject. I did read it all the way through and still find myself coming back to the book time and time again when needed for different shoots. It is very informative and easy to understand. It is ideal for the novice as a beginers guide, and also has something for togs who are a little more advanced as a refference.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Digital Photography Handbook
The Digital Photography Handbook by Doug Harman (Paperback - 19 Dec 2007)
5.99