5.0 out of 5 stars How much ?
Purchased this book for my youngest son, who is 'Dinosaur mad', all I can say is that if you have a child who is interested in Dinosaurs or better yet your interested in Dinosaurs and this book is still being sold at £15 then buy it..... it's worth every penny, the images are fantastic. This is one of those books you'd leave on a coffee table and every so often just turn...
Published on 20 Feb. 2009 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring
my five year old daughters review "it's pants". I'm afraid I agree, not enough detail or information. Glad I only paid under £4 for it
Published 7 months ago by Emma

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebration of the Lizard, 14 Aug. 2013
Hal Marshall "It wasn't me!" (Essex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
This is a truly eye-catching book, its sheer dimensions meaning it will almost certainly end up as a permanent resident on your coffee table - if it's strong enough. It manages to draw people towards it like a magnet. After all, everybody's interested in dinosaurs, right? Everyone who visits me certainly seems to be and it's nice to have something to drive our conversations along once we've run out of more mundane things to talk about. Which can sometimes be no more than a few seconds, depending upon the company concerned.

The book is informative and very logically presented. I can't say I've ever read too many of the actual words but, from a safe distance, they do look very scientific to me. Which is probably why I've never felt the need to read them. No, it's the pictures that really make this book. Whether it is the individual pictures of the dinosaurs themselves or the little family trees which represent each relevant geological era, they are very impressive. Even more impressive is the little scale drawing that accompanies each individual dinosaur's entry and which gives an immediate impression of the relative size of each one. You can instantly see how big each creature would appear in today's modern world. If it was, say, standing in a bus queue, alongside a little silhouette of a bald man with his hands in his pockets. That pose takes some guts, especially with the silhouette of a T-Rex bearing down on you, wondering whatever became of the No 9 to Basildon.

I like the way that the meaning of each dinosaur's name is included right underneath it, so I don't have to read any of the rest of the words underneath that. Oh, and the actual pronunciation of each name is right alongside, which is really quite handy. At the bottom of each page is that shadowy Mr Cool for comparison, as well as a map of today's globe showing whereabouts each creature's fossils have been found. Plus there is additional information regarding the length and height (in metric and imperial!), the weight, any predators it had and what its favourite prehistoric snacks might have been. To cap it all, there is a very comprehensive index at the back.

T-Rex appears in all his glory on pages 170 to 175, although he seems to have been given a red and white 'mane' (for want of a better word) which I have never seen anywhere else before. It gives him the look of a Late Cretaceous Sid Vicious. That one you see on the cover there was known to its friends as a 'Spinosaurus', or 'spine lizard'. Apparently it had no predators, which is no surprise really with jaws like that and 6 - 9 tons of bulk to back them up with. More than a few visitors to my home have, upon seeing that photo, started a conversation almost immediately about my ex-wife. One or two folk actually thought it was my wedding album out there proudly on display on the coffee table, purely on the basis of that photo.

I can only assume it is because the creature in the picture appears to have a huge chip on its shoulder. Anything else might be to imply that my ex-wife has a big mouth, a menacing manner and has not been near a moisturising cream since the early-middle Cretaceous. I wonder how cool that little shadowy figure would be if was HER bearing down on him on page 120...?

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be a bit better but great buy nevertheless, 8 Feb. 2013
Pawel Szymanski (Poland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
A few thoughts after the purchase and perusal:

- the book is massive. I was warned buy other reviewers and took a measuring tape to see how it would fit. It wouldn't, practically anywhere in my home there isn't a proper shelf for it. Luckily I've got adjustable shelves on racks in one room 40cm deep that will be able to accomodate this massive book after an adjustment. So - I know it has been stated before - be warned, the book is massive. Expect a massive parcel too.

- somebody said the size is like 40-inch tv. To be precise it is exactly the size of 32-inch tv. So if you have one, take look and imagine your tv spread on your table or sofa. You don't read this book in bed or on your knees, it's not possible.

- the original price is supposed to have been 50 quid. The special-price unremovable sticker on the front cover says 25 quid and I got it for around 18 quid, which is already an irresistible bargain. I think 25 quid is the max price I would be willing to pay now that I have examined the content

- the book is beautifully printed, you get nice thick paper, good layout, interesting info, nice pictures, fossil locations, but...

- I am a wee bit disappointed with the pictures after all the accolades regarding the detail and quality. Perhaps my expectations were to high. The pics are very nice indeed but there's this CGI blur to the skin textures that leaves a bit to be desired, just a bit. I mean for this size the pictures could have been printed in more detail. Do I regret the purchase? Absolutely not. I just think the very size of the book makes you want even better quality, but still pics are beautiful.

- there is at least one flaw (perhaps mentioned before): in one size comparison chart a something like 1m-tall dino is bigger than a human, if I remember well. Can't say which because I closed the book without having taken notes on this one.

- another con there are no marine dinos - somebody has already mentioned that. With marine dinos the book would be twice the size and twice the price most probably.

All in all, if you can grab it for around 18-19 quid and you have the room, buy it. If the price is 25 quid - consider it, if it's more, wait for the price to fall:)

I would give 4,5 stars - half a star deducted for the blurry skin textures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 12 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
This book is so amazing for both young and old, filled with spectacular pictures and extremely informative. My son has been dinosaur mad since day one and now, years older, he is loving every inch of this book! A wonderful buy and an item that will last as long as a dinosaur!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gigantic book, 4 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
This is a magnificent book. Some of the smaller dinosaurs are shown life-size, but most of course are not. That doensn't mean the prints are smal though! The prints are huge because the book is huge. Want to know how big it is? When opened (most dinosaurs are printed on two pages) it has the same size as a 40 inch television. And I can assure you, that is big. The information is mostly right, Argentinosaurus wasn't 40 meters, but probably 33-35 meters, and I know this is nitpicking, but isn't 35 meters big enough?
Anyway, great book, perfect for any coffee table, and I guess most people will look at this book for the stunning pictures and not for the written information. And for this price...BUY IT. It will be the surprise of your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Dino Reference, 18 May 2012
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
Although its mere proportions may seem overwhelming at first, they actually make this book so much better! Plentiful in both priceless information and striking imagery at a fair price (Original RRP at £50), this epic volume is presented in a digestible, yet sophisticated manner that will keep both laymen and subject experts coming back for more. Although Giant Marine Reptiles (Pliosauridae, Mosasauridae, Eoichthyosauria, Predator X) aren't covered, one can argue that they are viewed as separate entity from the Dinosaurs. Despite this minor aspect, which may present a disappointment to some, the fact that I couldn't rate this book beyond 5 stars seems to be its main and only flaw - THE Ultimate Dino Reference for both young and old!

5.0 out of 5 stars larger than life (almost), 25 Sept. 2010
Dr. Vernon M. Hewitt (Bristol, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
I am unashamed to confess to a sudden dinosaur phase at my own cretacious-tertiary boundary (ie 49-50). This was recommended to me by a colleague with children. Frankly I am amased that any child can open this book without some form of mechanical help. It is HUGE and although some note that this is a disadvantage, it adds to the drama and the appeal of the contents. This is a lavishly produced, beautifully made book - the computer generated graphics are state of the art: these glorious beasts glower out at you from black glossy paper. Each geological era is well summarised, and the entry for each specimen is to the point. The book reflects recent speculation on dinosaur posture and the dinosaur-bird link premised on recent fossil finds in China. This may not be new to most of you, but frankly I am still shocked at the prospect of T-Rex having feathers. It is well worth the price and will enlighten many a winter evening, when glass of claret in hand, I shall lean back on my chesterfield and romp through the art work. Someone will have to hold the wine glass though, and obviously turn the pages. My only issue with Brusatte is, of course, his utter conviction over the meteor impact. There is no mention of recent work into vulcanism and the emergence of the Decaan traps, work that has been so influencial on extinction theory generally - but this is a quibble. Latest thinking is that a meteor impact was the coup du grace of already extensive siesmic activity due to mantel pluming and tectonics. BUT. This is a must for all dinosaur enthusiasts. Come and get me T-Rex, you big turkey! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the long face? I think I can guess, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
I guess: the image of the (long-faced) spinosaur was chosen for the front cover because of its prominent part in Jurassic Park III, and it's certainly an arresting image. The book is full of similar digital drawings. They are detailed and 'realistic' (the author acknowledges that there is still a certain amount of guesswork involved in their reconstruction). Nice pictures of dinosaurs. Lots of them. So what more could you want? Well, OK, it does appear that some dinos were feathered, but many viewers' hackles will be raised at the sight of T. Rex with a punk rock hairdo. As mine were. It's the only blot; if you want a big book with hyper-realistic pictures of dinosaurs, buy one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dino book for Dino mad son, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
My son is Dino mad. This book is HUGE ( biggest book I've ever seen) but another reason for the thrill of reading it, my 5 year old son loves this book.
He lies across it almost totally submerged in the pictures and makes his own narrations up. Saying that it is quite difficult to read ( because of its size) definitely not a bedtime reading book.
This book is brilliant my son places his dinosaur toys on the pages to match them up, brilliant for getting children to associate pictures to toys and keeps the reading interest.
If you have a dinosaur mad child ( or adult) you won't be disappointed but I warn you this book is HUGE GREAT FUN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Grandson, 21 April 2015
Mrs. S. Finn (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my 4 year old Grandson who loved to bring it home from his nursery every weekend. Unfortunately another child ripped it and the nursery disposed of it ! So he was delighted when we managed to track it down on your site. I was disappointed when it arrived, it was in a huge box but had one corner sticking out of it, so the cover was ripped. I would have returned it but my Grandson was so keen to have it that I've taped it together and kept it. Apart from that the book is great, big and impressive to look at with fantastic illustrations and enough information on each dinosaur. Grandson is happy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars DINOSAURS BOOK - BRILLIANT!!, 8 Dec. 2014
Lara (The Land of Nod) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a Christmas present for my nephew and when it arrived I thought more was in the box than there actually was because this book is huge!! It's very heavy and brilliant quality with loads of information and pictures throughout. I can guarantee that my nephew is going to absolutely love it and would definitely recommend buying it for any dinosaur fan!

Dinosaurs
Dinosaurs by Michael Benton (Hardcover - 2 Oct. 2008)