5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Dec 2009
J. Rankin (Northern Ireland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of War: Great Commanders of the Ancient and Medieval Worlds 1600 BC - AD 1600 (Hardcover)
Excellent book in every respect. Each commander, King or leader from all the Ages thoughout history is great example of heroism and military cunning. There are many colour pictures that accompany each chapter. Unfamiliar historical terms are explained by each of the contributors making it easy to understand. The limited historical facts that accompany such entries as Joshua or the Pharoahs shows an honest approach, acknowledging that there are some gaps in the historical record and that history is mainly written by the victors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this will keep my boys busy for some time!, 27 Feb 2010
Firstly, I haven't read the whole book, just flicked through and read paragraphs here and there, but I wanted to add my thumbs-up to the pile because I can see from doing so that it's a treasure-trove of information. I'm not in the habit of reviewing books I haven't read (or those I have, for that matter), but I love books like this and believe it deserves more ratings. I actually bought it for my 15 year-old son because he's fascinated with war and thinks he may want to study military history. I know he'll never get around to reviewing it, so I thought I should.

I was fortunate enough to get our copy at a reduced price (through amazon) and can see we'll be getting more than our money's worth out of it - I have four boys and I'm sure they will all appreciate it, as I'm sure most men would. Even at full price it's well worth the money and a great collectible to refer to time and again, or to offer guests for some interesting bedtime reading. You can just about cover one commander in a sitting and there are many people my son and I hadn't heard of so I'm sure everyone would find something of interest. It's a high quality, large, thick (and very heavy) book, with many wonderful colour illustrations, and the information provided on each commander is concise, yet detailed - many pages, including several illustrations, are dedicated to each. My son has already noticed it's the first in a series and is now pestering me for the following two books, which is a great sign.

Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in history, particularly military, and all parents of teenage boys who want to encourage them to develop a passion for the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 23 Jan 2010
Mr. Pj Williams (cardiff uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
recently bought both volumes. enjoyed them both thoroughly. there articles on each commander are well written and is given the freedom to say what they really think ( some of the articles disagree on some conclusions or attitudes ) which is always good. they are big books but its set out in a way that you can read a piece at a time or a giant chunk. my only concern is that the articles are mainly overviews that delve into only some of the commanders battles, and then its just a page with a single diagram. I was hoping for more. not so much a history of the commander but more of their beliefs on what the art of war was and their use of tactics and grand strategy. I dont regret buying it but I do think, we didn't need short bio`s, but what we did need was more analysis

all in all these books are great openers to strategy, but missed an ever greater chance to really stretch it. love em but could have loved them more

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 19 Jan 2009
P. Dawson "pogdiwsn" (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a must, it has a wealth of information , is printed to highest quality, good battle maps ,and lots of battles, look forward to volume 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value for money, 11 Jan 2010
A fantastic product with interesting narratives on the lives and great moments of great commanders. Not only that, there are loads of different leaders to read about with drawings of tactical positions and photographs

Looks great on the living room table too

Used & New from: 24.25