5.0 out of 5 stars NEED IT READ!
I am only a teenager,(I don't read extremely complex/ degree level books etc.) but this book is very easy to read and to understand. It is split up into 50 sections on the topics: 'Problems of knowledge', 'Mind matters', 'Ethics', 'Animal Rights', 'Logic and meaning', 'Science', 'Aesthetics', 'Religion' and 'Politics, Justice and Society'. These sub-heading allow you to...
Published on 20 Dec. 2011 by Kishan P

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version not worth buying.
This review is of the Kindle version of this book. The content, book, writing etc - no complaints, plenty of reviews here will cover that.
HOWEVER, it just does not work on a Kindle.

Point 1 - The author constantly refers you to pages in the book - you can't search for these, the Kindle version has no page numbers. Bad.

Point 2 - Page formatting...
Published on 14 Feb. 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, 19 Oct. 2013
A. ap Rhisiart (Argyll, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have been reading philosophy books on and off for about 30 years. Many of them are fascinating but dense and a struggle to understand. A couple stand out for clarity, engaging you with ideas, making you think. Top of the list would have to be Hofstadter and Dennett's 'The Minds' I', no longer published; but I think I would have to put this one second, which is high praise indeed. My very first incursion into philosophy, as a teenager wondering what the subject was about and strangely attracted to it, was Wittgenstein's Tractatus, picked at random from the philosophy section of the library. That was almost enough to make me decide the subject wasn't for me. There are many original works like that, which an interested newcomer should stay away from, to come back to later with some knowledge and mental tools under their belt. It is hard to recommend a really good overview of what philosophy is about though, now that The Mind's I is not available. Now I have one to recommend. If you don't know much about philosophy and want to get a very good introduction, this is it. The other really good books for non-philosophers (a further reading for this book, perhaps) would include 'The Philosopher's Toolkit' by Fosl and Baggini; 'Think' by Simon Blackburn; 'The problems of philosophy' by Bertrand Russell; and The Oxford Dictionary of Philosophy by Simon Blacburn.

5.0 out of 5 stars So that's what philosophy is all about, 12 Oct. 2011
Didier (Ghent, Belgium) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know) (Hardcover)
Before reading this book I had only the vaguest idea about what philosophy actually is, what its aims are, and what its present-day relevance might be ('virtually none', my answer probably would have been). This admirable little book has been a godsend to remedy all of the above and then some.

The 50 ideas it discusses are grouped into 9 topics: 'problems of knowledge', 'mind matters', 'ethics', 'animal rights', 'logic and meaning', 'science', 'aesthetics', 'religion', and 'politics, justice and society'. Being a complete novice I am hardly the right person to pronounce an expert judgement on the fact whether or not the 50 ideas included are really the 50 ideas one really needs to know. What I do know is that having reached the last idea in the book I felt I had been introduced to philosophy in a very engaging and easy manner. All ideas and concepts are very clearly laid out, with telling examples and quotes, and a helpful timeline. Ben Dupré writes in a very clear and often humorous) style, which kept me eager to keep reading on and on.

One minor quip perhaps: I would have loved to have a 'list for further reading' or some such at the end. Failing that, I've gone out on my own and purchased Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy (Routledge Classics), which just goes to show to what degree Ben Dupré's book has given me an appetite for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am now a philosopher!, 19 July 2010
This review is from: 50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know) (Hardcover)
I bought this book really thinking that it was going to be too simple for me - even though I just wanted to get some idea of the various avenues that had been explored by philosophers throughout history.

However, it turns out to be a remarkably well-written book from which you can learn a great deal.

It is neither an easy read nor a difficult read for the layperson - but it does require a LITTLE bit of thinking on the reader's part.

An excellent book for someone who wants to know about the main areas of philosophical thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the Uninitiated the perfect introduction., 19 Jan. 2011
D. Cooper "PSP fanatic." (England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know) (Hardcover)
One or two of the philosophy ideas in this book were a bit too deep for me to grasp, but not many. The book is written in a very clear and well thought through way, so even some body like me who has never looked at or for that matter wanted to look at a philosophy book can enjoy what Ben Dupre has written. I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The 50 topics are covered in four pages each, so they're not too long. And you are given good examples of each of the ideas in little stories. There is a time line which tells you the date the idea was first thought of. The best part I think is at the end of each idea where there is a "Condensed Idea." For example, idea Number 1 is "The brain in a Vat." I go straight to the Condensed Idea, which in this case says, "Are you an en vatted brain?" This gives me some idea what Mr Dupre is talking about before I start.
The book covers, Problems of Knowledge, Mind Matters, Ethics, Animal Rights, Logic and Meaning, Science, Aesthetics, Religion, and Politics, Justice and Society.
I feel brainier all ready!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to philosophy., 13 July 2011
This review is from: 50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know) (Hardcover)
This book is a good introduction to some of the main philosophical ideas that are out there. I bought this so I could think about some of the different concepts and ideas that are out there. Screws with your mind, but in a good way, and will leave you thinking about the bigger picture.

I've just finished university, studying psychology and there were always philosophical concepts that were raised in it. This book gives ones that I hadn't really even thought of before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 19 Feb. 2012
This review is from: 50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know) (Hardcover)
For the student or the lay-reader, this is great as an introduction to philosophy. It addresses such issues as animal rights, ethics, religion, logic and meaning and so on, presenting them in an approachable way. An enjoyable book, however, I maintain all philosophy books are more than a casual read requiring concentration. It is also such a beautifully presented book that it would make a lovely gift. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philosophy for everyone!, 13 Jun. 2009
This review is from: 50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know) (Hardcover)
This brilliant book turns some of the most important (but nevertheless rather weird) ideas within Philosophy into issues of fundamental importance to everyday life. The first philosophy idea (Are you a brain in a vat?) links the 1641 Meditations of Descartes with the 1999 movie The Matrix; idea 23 asks whether it is morally bad to be unlucky.

The writer explains philosophy simply and makes it important. I think this book is brilliant. I've given it to loads of my friends and bought the others in the series too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 7 Feb. 2011
This review is from: 50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know) (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic. It arrived on the following day (amazon prime) and was in good condition. The content is also very easy to understand even though I do not have an long history of philosophical knowledge. Each topic is covered over 2 double pages. The theory is introduced, explaned, put into context and attached with examples. It is an exceedingly enjoyable read which makes you feel like you have a very good grasp for modern and ancient western philosophy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Overview, 6 Jun. 2012
This review is from: 50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know) (Hardcover)
I found this to be pitched at an excellent level for the layman - sufficiently detailed to be continually interesting, without any unduly esoteric patches.

Presented in this way, philosophy seems a much more benign subject than I imagined. Reading these pages is most entertaining, and serves as an introduction to what seems an enjoyable, beguiling subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars 50 philosophy ideas, 11 July 2012
This review is from: 50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know) (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my son as he is interested in philosophy and was recommended to read this. He is very happy with it and said it gives food for thought. We would recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand the basics of what philosphy is and on what types of subjects they want to study. It is easy to read and well explained.

50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know)
50 Philosophy Ideas (You Really Need to Know) by Ben Dupré (Hardcover - 2 Aug. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01