5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic resource no one should be without
I love this book. What more can I say? It's truly been a fantastic resource to further increase my understanding of the jQuery UI, and is a near constant fixture by my side during project development.

Published on 26 April 2009 by M. Gifford

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite that interesting
Published on 29 April 2009 by Tom De Bruyne

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic resource no one should be without, 26 April 2009
M. Gifford - See all my reviews
This review is from: jQuery UI 1.6: The User Interface Library For jQuery (From Technologies to Solutions) (Paperback)

I have developed using jQuery for some time prior to reading this book, and love the code and what can be achieved with so little effort, and this publication only helps to extend my knowledge and skills.

Whether you've been developing jQuery for a while, or are new to this rapidly blossoming library, I would highly recommend that you buy this book. Read it, use it, love it and thank the author for making it even easier to understand. You're web applications will thank you for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars jQuery UI 1.6: The User Interface Library for jQuery, 27 Mar 2009
Mr. Guy D. Carberry "Guy Carberry" (Buckingham, England, UK) - See all my reviews
Dan Wellman's book jQuery UI 1.6 is the kind of book I wish I had when I first started tinkering with jQuery.

Firstly, I'm a web designer, not a developer. Scripting scares me. I'm really out of my comfort zone when I need to bring a web page to life with things like Flash Action Scripting or, in this case, Javascript.

Secondly, I'm a fairly practical kind of bloke who would rather just get something done as a proof of concept and work out how to improve it later. I don't want to learn a language like PHP or Javascript from the ground-up before I can do something like tab interfaces, resizable boxes and drag and drop widgets. So I never have.

The jQuery User Interface (UI) Library is preceisely the kind of thing that I need in order to rapidly prototype web interfaces. It's a set of well tested widgets, compatible with all modern browsers (and some old ones).

This book explains in great detail, with full code examples, how to quickly get cracking with every part of the library. This includes tabs, accordions, pop-ups, sliders, date pickers, auto-complete, drag and drop, resizing, selecting, sorting and various animations.

What I most enjoyed about this book was the rapid pace that Wellman moved me through each of the widgets. First he explains the purpose of the widget followed by the default implementation, how to style of 'skin' the widget to your own requirements and then onto the more intricate details of chaning how it behaves. This kind of approach is very accessible to me.

As a designer I'm quite interested in making the widgets fit the look and feel of my design. It's rare that I ever want to use the default style and if it's not easy to change the chances are I'll look elsewhere. Each and every jQuery UI widget can be styled to exacting requirments and Wellman is keen to highlight this fact.

I'll get the feeling I'll be frequently referring to the chapters on tabs, dialogues, resizing, selecting and sorting the in my day to day work. This is the kind of book you can confidently dip into when you have a specific problem to solve and one that will be a valuable addition to and web design bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have if you want to have a web 2.0 UI, 17 Mar 2009
Mr. Marcos Placona (London, UK) - See all my reviews
It's really a must have, if you want to get started, or even if you have already used the UI, but is not s professional.

The book is divided in twelve very illustrative chapters containing code samples, and excellent comments related to what is being presented. the author really focus on cross-browser development, and really emphasizes on the examples, as he's always switching between three of the most used browsers.

I have to admit that I knew some jQuery before reading this book, but even if you don't know it, it's worth a reading, as it started each chapter with really simple examples, and then, they are improved as the chapter rolls. At the end, you have a very nice and working feature you built from scratch.

So if you haven't, go on and buy this book, and you'll wanna keep it on your desk forever ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the jQuery UI beginner, 25 Feb 2009
M. Jolley "mikejolley" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
jQuery UI 1.6: The User Interface Library for jQuery is aimed at front-end designers and developers (like me!) who want/need to learn how to utilise jQuery UI quickly. It requires some prior knowledge of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and also being `comfortable' with jQuery itself. It assumes no prior knowledge of jQuery UI and is fairly comprehensive in getting you up to speed with its core concepts.

The book covers all major interaction widgets contained in JQuery UI, including tabs, accordions, sliders, dialogs and more, and also in depth information on things such as the Theme Roller and visual effects.

Overall this book is excellent for beginners and contains some pretty useful examples along with some good in-depth explanations; if you use jQuery and want to start learning the whole of jQuery UI quickly and efficiently (or want a handy offline reference) you should consider picking up this book for sure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite that interesting, 29 April 2009
Tom De Bruyne - See all my reviews
The book is merely an overview of the different tools that exist in the Jquery UI, thereby not actually describing how to practically use them. There's not mcuh (if any) extra information in the book compared to the Jquery UI website itself. There is no "hands-on" approach to building an application, or putting the different items to work. I wouldn't buy it again, if I knew this before...

ARRAY(0xaa493ea0)