5.0 out of 5 stars A review of "A coward if I return,a Hero if I fall"
As a keen Military History buff and a collector of British and Irish military Cap Badges for over 30 years, this book was recommended to me by a friend as my primary focus is on Irish Military Regiments (not surprising I suppose as I am from Northern Ireland)...
Published on 6 Feb. 2011 by Colin McAfee

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great.
Disjointed and lacking any form of continuity in its presentation. A reasonable knowledge of history does not necessarily mean that you can write on the subject, Mr. Richardson. You also need to know how to tell a story so that the reader can turn the lifeless words into some form of feeling.
Published 9 months ago by The Raven.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review of "A coward if I return,a Hero if I fall", 6 Feb. 2011
This review is from: A Coward if I Return, A Hero if I Fall: Stories of Irish soldiers in World War I (Paperback)
This is a well written book and is accurate in it's content and detail, it takes pride of place on my "Best read shelf".
I have a substantial library of great British and Irish Military books and would be happy to advise on what is a good book to look for...
I have no hesitation in recommending it as a great reference book on the First World War and of course our great Irish Regiments. You must read this book!
Happy Reading

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book., 28 Jun. 2011
This book is a real gem. It uncovers long forgotten stories of Irish men who fought and died in the Great War,and also fought and returned to Ireland when hostilities ended. Some of the stories are very moving and is a must for those interested in not only WW1 but also the stories behind the people who fought in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine work and well worth reading., 10 Aug. 2014
It is tragic that it has taken the Republic of Ireland (of which I am a citizen) so long to recognise the sacrifice of Irish troops in WW1, and their shameful treatment after Independence.
This book definitely helps to right that wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 9 April 2015
A quite brilliant WW1 history. Neil's description of the horrors of Ypres 3 was unequalled for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 2 Feb. 2012
i bought this book for my husband it is not the type of book i would read myself but i flicked through a few pages and really got in to it so when my hubby went out to work i found myself reading the book the irish republic should be ashamed of what they done to these solders and their family they were real heros they went to fight a war rather than stay at home and cut turf. the republic at the moment is thinking of giving these men the credit that is due to them and not before time we have a lot to thank these men for

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching memories!, 26 Feb. 2012
Poignant! So many people are unaware of the sacrifice paid by our ancestors for our freedom. Irish ancestors paid a higher price than others because they were ostracised when they returned home - despite the fact that those who despised them would have paid a terrible price if the Allies had failed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great., 20 Aug. 2014