4.0 out of 5 stars A funny romp - great for reading aloud
My daughter has liked the Mr Gum series of books by Andy Stanton, so I thought we would give this one a try.

She is nine, and a good reader, but I think the vocabulary used is a little above her level, so I would recommend this for maybe an 11 year old if being read independently.

We had it as a bedtime book, which I read to her. It works really...
Published 1 month ago by leftfooter

3.0 out of 5 stars Alex Edwards age 11
The Legend Of Frog is a very intriguing book, it is about a frog (who would of thought it) who leaves the island where he has lived all his life to explore the outside world. Frog is disappointed when he has grown up thinking he is a prince, to find out he is not one.

The book is a little childish for my liking, the words are slightly lower level and for...
Published 8 months ago by G. Edwards

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A funny romp - great for reading aloud, 27 Aug 2014
leftfooter "leftfooter" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

We had it as a bedtime book, which I read to her. It works really well for this. Lots of different characters and lots of scope for funny voices, etc. The chapters are a good length for reading one a night (although I gave in sometimes to pleading for "another one").

This is one of those books that works on different levels. Even young readers will get the basic slapstick comedy and many of the verbal gags. However, anyone with a working knowledge of science fiction/fantasy tropes will pick up a load of more subtle references, and some mickey-taking of the standard genre plots.

As a story, it works well on its own terms: a classic "quest" tale where the hero sets off to find his destiny, encounters challenges and obstacles, but eventually triumphs (and learns some "important lessons in life" on the way). It romps along, with a suitable number of surprises and cliff-hangers to keep you reading to the end.

Given the ending, there is even the possibility of a sequel (or dare I say, a trilogy?)...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 Sep 2014
C. Brown "English teacher" (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Legend of Frog (Paperback)
My son is a very strong reader for a 7 year old and enjoyed this book SO much. He devoured it! I enjoyed hearing him laughing uproariously in his room :) He is no longer interested in the Beast Quest/Sea Quest novels (phew! They were taking over our house!) or the Horrible Histories (Gross!) and is now a true Guy Bass fan (he has now read all of the Stitch Head books and I just ordered him the sequel to this one). Wonderful! After reading some of the comments regarding vocabulary I think I will buy him this copy to own (ours was from the library) so he can reread it. It is likely that some of the vocabulary went over his head if others say it is best for the 9/10 year old range. He says he will read it over and over and over :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern day fairy tale, brilliant, 11 Mar 2014
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My boy who is 10 really enjoyed reading this book.

The way the frog spelt kept us all laughing, the story was delivered at the right pace. The book is almost then modern day fairy tale with great characters and even aliens.

Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Legend of Frog (Paperback)
I was pleasantly surprised at my 9 year old sons enjoyment of this story. It was not a book that I thought he would enjoy due to its obvious link to fairy stories. However the humour and plot kept us both amused and wanting to know what happened next. The language used within the book was at a level capable of keeping a good reader entertained. I would recommend this book to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Frog Be A Prince Or A Hero?, 6 Sep 2014
H. Pierce (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My six year old has is a very competent reader, so decided to read this alone. She found this very entertaining, and actually did laugh a lot during reading it. She read it in one afternoon, so it isn't the longest story in the world, but it did hold her attention well.

I read the book after she had, in order to be able to comment on the story further, and I agree that it is a strange little book, although quite an amusing one. I'm not convinced that my six year old will have understood all of the humour in this tale, but she certainly did find it a lot of the jokes were within her grasp.

The story is a mixture of science fiction and fairy tale, with a certain amount of traditional fantasy included. Princes and princesses, kingdoms and...invading aliens?!

Overall, it is a different kind of tale, that my six year old thoroughly enjoyed. She awards it full marks and seeing as she is probably more the target audience than I am, I have followed her lead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy children's fantasy novel with lots of humour, 19 Aug 2014
S. Diment "sue_diment" (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son (who is eight) really enjoyed this book (he read "Stitch Head" by Guy Bass earlier this year and enjoyed that too). The main character is a one year old talking Frog who has been brought up on a lonely island by Buttercup, who has told him he is really a Prince, but that the world has ended, so there is nothing but blackened earth for him to rule. Bored with life on the island, he builds a raft and escapes to find out for himself what the end of the world looks like. The story follows his adventures as he tries to reclaim his throne and find out where he really comes from, and finds himself trying to save the kingdom from aliens in the process! There are fantasy and science fiction elements in the plot, along with lots of crazy characters, and plenty of humour. An ideal, fast-paced read for a child aged seven or upwards who is a good reader, or for a parent to read to their child. We will definitely be getting the sequel!

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 15 May 2014
S. Hammond "Steve" (Frinton-On-Sea, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
this is one funny, entertaining book.
my son is almost ten, and he absolutely loves humorous books, and this one certainly didn't disappoint one little bit.
it was read in no time over a few bedtimes, and it was hard for him to put down.

very highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Whoa!, 14 May 2014
Jack Chakotay "Ender Brazil" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Off beat, wacky with plenty of irreverent references made this a joy to read. The little boy in me enjoyed it. my eldest daughter was not as amused when it turned more sci-fi. There are a number of efforts out there that have tried to do something similar (Piers Anthony yeeech!) but the thread in this story is easier to follow and not as convoluted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird and wonderful, 6 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is a mash-up of fairy tale, fantasy and science fiction and follows the trials and adventures of 'Frog' as he strikes out to discover his destiny and his kingdom....adventure ensues!
Quirky, weird but wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny, 25 Mar 2014
Tim Roast (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read this with my 7-year-old daughter over several bedtimes. She really enjoyed it wanting more each time, and laughing out loud at funny bits in the story. She said, “He goes on an amazing adventure to the end of the world, but he finds out it’s not really the end of the world. My favourite part was when Frog went to see the princess, because she has a funny voice.”

The story starts (once upon the end of the world…) with Frog stuck on an island at the edge of the end of the world. Frog has “bright, mottled green skin, bulbous yellow eyes, and not a single hair on his head.” Basically he is like a talking frog, except he has a destiny to fulfill, what with him being the “Royal Majesty, Lord of all Kingdoms, Rightful Ruler of the World… Prince Frog.”

So he ventures into the end of the world which turns out to be the not-so ended world, the fate of which is in his hands when he comes up against the Kroakans, aliens that are frog-like like him but want to bring the world to an end. This is the part where Frog must decide his fate which is intertwined with that of the world's.

My daughter enjoyed it very much and found it funny, so it comes highly recommended. The humour comes from the surreal-ness of situations, e.g. having a sheep as a trusty steed, and the characters, e.g. a barbarian who has a catchphrase. I never did master the Kroakan language bits though and didn't feel every chapter heading needed a Kroakan translation along with the English, not that I knew until half-way, but that is a small thing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Legend of Frog
The Legend of Frog by Guy Bass (Paperback - 10 Jan 2014)