5.0 out of 5 stars The Empathy Trap: Understanding Antisocial Personalities
Published 18 months ago by Erna Cooper (writer and schola...

3.0 out of 5 stars Intersting but not fully convinced by the authors.
Published 3 months ago by Sally Zigmond

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Empathy Trap: Understanding Antisocial Personalities, 3 Sept. 2013
Written in clear and simple language, "The Empathy Trap" encapsulates and renders accessible what are usually very complicated psychological terms and relational paradigms. Dr. Jayne McGregor and Tim McGregor, together, have put their clinical practice to work for those in the wider community, by offering this brief, but valuable guide to understanding, identifying, and healing from "sociopathic" or otherwise anti-social personalities.

Whether such types are found in your work place, social circle or family, there are ways of detecting what their specific pathological and unusual behaviours are, how they tend to operate outwardly and inwardly, and how their behaviours and beliefs complicate and pollute communications and triangulate relationships between immediate and extended family members as well as between their "targets" and social contacts.

This guide includes moving testimony by survivors of sociopathic abuse, as well as sober recommendations on how to establish healthy boundaries with abusers, and approaches to recovery from long-entrenched connection to them. It also offers a very helpful EQ (Emotional Quotient) test as well as a list of British and international organisations and mental health resources for those who need further assistance.

Overall, this is a must read for anyone in an abusive relationship, those interested in psychology and/or needing practical advice on removing the sociopath from his or her life and protecting children from harm and generational pain.

I have found that this work differs from other books on the subject of narcissism and personality disorders, in addressing, specifically, the role of the "apath", or apathetic members of a family or society, who enable and protect the sociopath and his/her abuse of the victim(s) (i.e. the "truth-tellers") either unknowingly, by relying on heresay, or by turning a blind eye to controlling, deceptive or manipulative behaviours. This is one insidious pattern, in the paradigm of emotional and mental abuse, that many books on personality disorders fail to address clearly or as thoroughly, and which most people need to understand, on a grand scale.

I highly recommend this work both for its practical benefit and its sensitive and pellucid style.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 13 July 2013
This review is from: The Empathy Trap: Understanding Antisocial Personalities (Paperback)
This book is a must read. You may not think you know or have known someone with sociopathic traits but once you have read this your eyes will be opened to the truth. Not only will this book help identify the truth about an ex, a current partner, a family member etc it helps you to work through you life, during and after meeting a sociopath. The case studies within this book are varied and helps to compare to ones experience. A truly amazing book, well written a should be read by all to either help prepare for an event with a sociopath or to help with the aftermath.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intersting but not fully convinced by the authors., 24 Nov. 2014
Sally Zigmond (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I had hoped to find this book helpful and insightful and, in a simplistic way, it was. Only I was confused my the way the authors were happy to bombard me with confusing terminology - and oh those abbreviations! I found myself constantly wondering exactly how a sociopath differed from a psychopath.Or are they one and the same? I have a relative who, whilst he displays some of the characteristics of both, mostly he doesn't at all. He is not overly charismatic or charming although he often fails to see what others are thinking. He can sometimes fly into rages and he can be rude, insulting and makes people feel they're going potty, but this is when he is tried or stressed. And he soon calms down and most of the time he is supportive and very loving - and dependent on me. I had thought was quite high on the autistic spectrum because he is very intelligent.

One of the experts the author's quote a great deal is Simon Baron-Cohen who is a trusted expert about the autistic spectrum but they do not mention the term at all. Why not?

Because of this, I did feel the writers were over-keen to point out how common sociopathy or psychopathy is. I wonder how true this is. I felt everyone was, having read this little book.

I would like to know their skill qualifications and experience in the UK National Health service.

I am none the wiser than I was on beginning to read it, I'm afraid. Sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revealing, 28 Dec. 2013
LAC (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
An insightful guide to a destructive syndrome. I have long thought that empathy and the lack of it are key to understanding social breakdown. This book summarises the research clearly and provides a fascinating profile of sociopaths and their modus operandi.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, 23 Aug. 2013
I found this book a very interesting read. However, I thought it rather simplistic and everything was dealt with in a cursory manner. I would have preferred to see things dealt with in more depth. But as it went, it was a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you trapped?, 16 July 2013
I was initially drawn to this book by its title as this was how I was starting to feel - trapped by my empathetic nature and increasingly becoming burdened with it. I started to realise that I could be easily manipulated by people and that anyone could take advantage of this aspect of my personality; from strangers to close family and good friends. This wasn't good for my mental health but luckily, for me, I did seem to have some insight that this was happening. This book certainly makes you aware of the techniques some people will use to get you to do what they want you to do and undermine your belief in yourself and your instincts. These people do exist and the book certainly opens your eyes to recognising the potential sociopaths in your life. It has useful advice on what you can do to help yourself including self-help exercises and addresses of organisation to contact, which can offer assistance and support. It so well written that it is easy to understand for the layperson as well as the professional. I hope there is more to come, from these authors, on the subject of empathy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 29 May 2014
If you have a child drawn to disasterous relationships, please buy this book for them. I have had all my suspiscions about my childs poor choices confirmed, it may not give you answers, but it may help you understand their behaviour. More empathy!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Muddled in parts, 22 April 2014
Ok, muddled in parts. The chapters on surviving living,working with sociopaths most interesting.The case studies especially of belligerent parents, both mothers and fathers are ones we all know or suspect but never express. So that was refreshing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good clear advice, 30 Jan. 2014
Well written and insightful with lots of useful advice. Includes a test for empathy levels which was interesting although most people usually know how empathic they are I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars sociopathic behaviour, 8 Jan. 2014
Well written and presented
Comprehensive, comparative study of case histories
Would recommend to anyone interested in psychological disorders
Easy to understand

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Empathy Trap: Understanding Antisocial Personalities
The Empathy Trap: Understanding Antisocial Personalities by Tim McGregor (Paperback - 16 May 2013)