Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 December 2009
this is one of the best self-help books I have read, now I am really hooked. The author is not some guy who just tells you 'you are a Divine being' or 'The Universe is out there to nourish you' and such crap. Now that I have read this little book, I really want to find more books like these, they are about psychology and things that you can USE, not fluff. Also, this book is so short ,concise and unassuming that I first thought 'this must be one of these books like these that claim that you can learn to play piano in a week'. Well, I was TOTALLY wrong. This little book is packed with great info, written by an expert in his field. Also, although a psychology book, it's very easy to read, very unbiased and non-academic. The publishing house, Press Sheldon, is PACKED with many books like these, and they treat a wide range of topics. I have already bought a bunch of them, and I have found some of them on amazon for PEANUTS
on 5 October 2005
This is a great book, I really enjoyed reading. It tells you what causes worries (including prolonged worries) and how to deal with that.
So, most of the worries are caused by either obvious or hidden problems. The book tells you how to find the roots of the problems and offers the methods of finding solutions for them.
on 30 March 2013
I rated this book, and service, 5 stars because it arrived ontime; was as described; was very helpful.
I would recommned the book to others who want a bit of calm in their lives!
on 5 January 2016
I've read quite a few self help books and this is one of the best. It's good that it is specific and has a handful of easy to do methods which are actually effective at alleviating worry.

It is written by a fully trained clinical physiologist and based on research. It is even available on prescription from the NHS!

It's a welcome change from a number of self help books, which I paraphrase, recommend a mantra along the lines of "Everything is amazing with the world and you are wonderful", which from previous experience seem to help for a short time before you realise they are not actually true. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of mindfulness books which are more spiritually based and this book can compliments these type of books and not contradict them.
on 15 November 2013
This book is for anyone for whom worry disturbs sleep and day-to-day thoughts.
The book starts off by asking, 'What is worry', giving a couple of short stories by way of example.
After a brief chapter on Preparation, we then move on to the core of the book, the 'Problem-Solving Package'. Here, we define, correctly, what's bothering us,coming up with a variety of solutions for which we give an evaluation.
The next step is Action, and reviewing how our strategy has worked.
The author likens worry to an alarm, that alerts us to issues, and, as such, is not necessarily a bad thing.
The book falls short on dealing with the kind of problem that isn't of the 'shall I do this or that' nature.
I would also recommend How To Stop Worrying And Start Living (Personal Development) and, for a similar thought process for problem-solving, Teach Yourself To Think.
on 16 July 2012
I was recommended this and can see why. It is handy and doesnt have loads of chapters. A quick easy read.
Read a chapter to my friend which helped her and ended up buying her this book too.
I think everyone worries to some extent but if like me you worry to the point of getting down and stressed out then I recommend this book.
on 21 February 2015
A very good book with a lot of insights and information. written in a clear way. Good structured guidance too. Great as a stand alone book, but would be better as part of further reading
on 31 July 2015
Having borrowed a copy from my local library i found it easy to read and follow so i purchased a copy for my reference I have also recommended it to one of my clients
on 5 April 2014
I purchased this book along with two similar books;"overcoming anxiety" and "overcoming irritation and anger" as I have been having issues as they say for some time, All three books suggest a series of insights and exercises to deal with the problems,based on "cognative thinking" basi cally meaning being aware of why you are in the situation you find yourself in,what triggers it off,what makes it worse,and how being aware of the nature of the problem enables you to resolve it.
Reading these books i am amazed at how they exactly plot and map my owb problems and also my own insights as to how they arise and develop and also how to deal with them. the latter I have been told by friends and family for sometime but sometimes it works better if such advice comes from a neutral source;I find.In conclusion the books are working for me even before I have finished them.I can't reccomend them too highly.As they say the best couple of bob I ever spent!
on 28 September 2014
Book was in excellent condition as described. I've been renewing a library copy of this book for a while now, very useful so thought I'd buy a copy of my own!