3.0 out of 5 stars A disturbing story written in a unorthodox writing style, 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: A Beautiful Truth (Kindle Edition)
I liked the idea for this novel, of showing what the usual outcome is when people decide to adopt chimpanzees or other primates because they seem human-like and cute. The couple in this story, Walter and Judy, adopted a young chimp named Looee who was brought in illegally from Sierra Leone by a man who worked for a circus. Walter and Judy couldn't have children of their own so Looee became their surrogate child. They dressed him up and children's clothing, taught him to eat with silverware and bought him tons of toys to play with. Looee was cute and in many ways very childlike. But in other ways such as his strength and emotions, he wasn't really like a child at all. As usually happens, when Looee reached sexual maturity, he went from being a cute little guy to a frustrated teenager with super strength and all the problems that that entails. The story was told in the third person from the perspective of Walter and Judy, and of Looee and the other primates.

Where this story didn't work for me was the way it was written with little punctuation such as quotations around spoken sentences. It was often difficult to tell who was speaking and when the speakers changed from one to the other. When speaking from the chimps point of view the writing was done in often incomplete sentences and nonsense syllables and words. There were many times when it was difficult to tell what was really going on.

The story was tragic and sad. The parts about the medical testing done on these animals was heartbreaking and it is difficult to believe that human beings can be so cruel. As a book on activism and animal rights this book was outstanding. But the odd, unorthodox writing style made it a difficult book to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Completely lost interest, 6 Jan. 2014
A. W. Skinner (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Beautiful Truth (Paperback)
The concept was initially interesting, but my interest began to wane after about 50 pages. I speed read the next 100 pages, then gave up completely and consigned it to the bin.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unsubstantiated imaginings, 6 Jan. 2014
Mr. P. Rule - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Beautiful Truth (Paperback)
A strange mixture of imagined emotions superimposed on research findings. I found it a clever but unsatisfying piece of writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Truth, 30 Jun. 2013
Lucybird (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Beautiful Truth (Kindle Edition)
I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

I had a strange relationship with this book. Most of the time I found things a bit difficult. I didn't feel that attached to the characters as characters- more sympathised with their situation. It was written as if in a chimp's voice (or at least that's what I presume it was meant to be). In a way that's good, because it's different and it makes you see a side of the story which you wouldn't usually see. However it did make it more difficult to read, and to engage in.

Having said that I was surprised by how much certain events impacted me. It made me think that maybe I felt more for the characters than I had realised.

It was interesting how McAdam was able to show different sides of the story without losing any empathy for characters on various sides of the arguments.

I also found that I preferred the second part of the story, when the two stories joined together. However I think this side of the story wouldn't have the same impact if I hadn't already known the characters.

A Beautiful Truth
A Beautiful Truth by Colin McAdam (Paperback - 4 July 2013)