4.0 out of 5 stars Deliberately confrontational, deeply disturbing and very good
This is not a book for the lily-livered. Bold, courageous and confrontational, The End of Alice is most disturbing. It is also very, very good. There is absolutely nothing engaging or delightful in this story which relates, through correspondence, the exploits of an imprisoned paedophile and his young, wild prototype. It is uncomfortable reading: repulsive and gripping...
Published on 30 April 2007 by BookAddictUK

3.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable
After reading the reviews I was somewhat hesitant about reading this book. It did, as pointed out by other reviewers, leave you asking yourself some awkward questions, and wondering why the hell you were reading such a book. However, I did enjoy, if thats the right word, this book to a degree. Though I did find it uncomfortable in parts. I don't really know what else to...
Published on 21 Jun 2008 by I. S. Thompson

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Humourless and revolting, 28 April 1998
This review is from: The End of Alice (Paperback)
Humourless and revolting, but that's not to say unworthy. Genuinely unattractive and filled to the brim with unpleasantness which can be interesting in the right setting, but Homes is too po-faced with her narrator. The story lacks the satire of that other tasteless epic, American Psycho. At least The End of Alice wasn't written by a man or we'd never hear the end of it. A fair effort at sustaining a narative by a sympathetic monster who can only tell lies. Two days after finishing the book I began to wonder if any of his flashbacks were true even in the baths with his mother.

4.0 out of 5 stars Car crash literature: profoundly disturbing to contemplate yet impossible not to sneak a glance at, 4 Nov 2014
This review is from: The End of Alice (Paperback)
This book is interesting. Interesting because for me it managed to be at once repulsive and compelling; car crash literature whose mangled, bloodied wreckage is profoundly disturbing to contemplate yet impossible not to sneak a glance at. Were it not for the dense, florid prose - albeit as an affect of the main character's narration - this would be a real page turner. The story unfolds at a sedate pace, the languidity enhanced by the deliberate style of narration; and it's this that slowed the story down, for me. That is not to say, however, that Homes' chosen affect renders the story unreadable, or that it didn't work; quite the contrary. At times the narrator's lengthy waxing went completely over my head, which I believe could be Homes' very intention - readers are not meant to be able to identify with him on any level.

This isn't a book I would read again, or one I would recommend to just about anyone. But for what it is, I feel it works well, and if you enjoy pushing your own boundaries then it might be a challenge well worth undertaking. Make no mistake, it's highly uncomfortable reading, in more ways than simply the sexual. If you want to read something that leaves you a little shaken, a little perturbed, as if you've been privvy to something you really shouldn't have, read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing,YES.But is it really necessary?, 5 Jun 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: The End of Alice (Hardcover)
This is without a doubt the strangest book I have read.The plot is not really new although it is a shock to most.I found it interesting in many parts,but they just got going and it was on to a new segment.It just seemed to jump around a bit too much for my liking.Having said that,I can't think of any other way the story could have been told.This still does not answer the question I had very early in the book.Does this story need to be told?

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that great, 15 Sep 2010
Jenny Wong (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End of Alice (Paperback)
Unfortunately this book is just not a particularly great example of any of the literary genre it attempts to straddle. For epistolary books 'We need to talk about Kevin' is better. For underage eroticism obviously there is 'Lolita' (I accept that the last quarter of the book may be a deliberate homage but the execution - pardon the pun - is much too heavy handed). For the prison theme 'Sleepers' is a better read and has the added spice of being true. And for those seeking out the bloody bits, 'American Psycho' is much more exciting and vomit inducing. I would suggest any of these titles over 'The end of Alice', which takes too many disparate elements and cobbles them together unconvincingly into a rather pointless story. On the other hand it was not boring, so a quick and easy read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bold and brave, 1 Dec 2007
NB (Middlesbrough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End of Alice (Paperback)
I approached this book with caution, wondering what horrific things it contained, but was won over by the reviews on the back, and I'm glad I picked it up.

Apparently this book cause outrage when it was published in the US and on the surface, it's obvious why it would. I mean, a book narrated by a convicted child killer which details his correspondence with a wannabe (female) paedophile - well, it doesn't take a genius to see why.

It is brutally honest and made me cringe at the depictions of prison life, horrific childhood incidents and the crimes which got the narrator in jail, if only for his intense concentration on bodily functions and fluids.

I wasn't sure whether to believe the narrator recollection of his time with Alice - it felt like he believed that was what happened, but as a man who's spent over two decades being inside jail, I wasn't so sure.

This is a very bold book - a story which gets more complicated and riveting as it goes on - and one which is written with style and guts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 13 Jan 2013
Ilona Bell (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End Of Alice (Kindle Edition)
This story is disturbing and creepy and menacing but highly addictive! Similar to the classic Lolita, it's a story told through the eyes of a paedophile and despite the horrific issue faced in the book, the writing style is witty and clever and makes for a very interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy read., 12 Feb 2007
C. Duncan "weirdreader" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End of Alice (Paperback)
Ultimately, the subject matter of this book might make it difficult for many readers to even pick it up. But if you do, you will be rewarded with a creepy, yet wonderfully written novel which is at times so shocking I had to put it down. If you like your fiction disturbing but intelligent then I would suggest you give this a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars At once creepy and riveting, 3 Aug 1998
This review is from: The End of Alice (Paperback)
The End of Alice brought attention to Homes due to the controversial topic -- attested to by the comments listed here. You are not sure whether you should despise the book for its content alone, or whether you should actually admit that you couldn't put it down. I agree that Homes will only get better from here and if she continues to fearlessly write about topics that challenge the reader she has a very bright future and I will continue to read her every chance I get. I found this book no more disturbing than I do the evening news and was intrigued by the psychological relationship that developed between these two unlikely pen pals. I didn't want to put this book down and when I finished I picked up two other Homes books, In a Country of Mothers and Jack, which confirmed for me her developing talent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extreme and Challenging, 28 April 2007
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The End of Alice (Paperback)
'The End of Alice' centres around the correspondence between two paedophiles; one older man who is awaiting parole in prison and a nineteen year old girl who is trying to seduce a young boy. As the story progresses and we find out more about the male narrator, and at times this is really uncomfortable.

The novel is brilliantly written and this was the only reason that I was able to finish it. There are parts of the novel that are so unpleasant and so shocking that it becomes difficult to read. If you're easily upset, this is definitely one to avoid. However, if you have the stomach for it and enjoy involving psychological drama, this is the book for you.

Incredibly well written, just hard to handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent example of what horror novels aspire to be..., 25 Jan 1998
This review is from: The End of Alice (Paperback)
An utterly absorbing example of prose that manages to elicit a visceral response without sacrificing its intellectual integrity. An embodiment of what all horror novels should try to be. A significant literary achievement that is all the more disturbing and disquieting because it speaks of deeds that have basis in the real world. A must read for those jaded readers who find most books of this genre not horrifying enough!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The End of Alice
The End of Alice by A. M. Homes (Paperback - 4 April 2013)