5.0 out of 5 stars diary pages of intelligence and emotion
I have now read Tom's book "Until further notice, I am Alive". It is a wanderful book, in my view a masterpiece.

I have cried, trembled, smiled. I have acknowledged the author's vision of the world and also the way his brain would face the personal crisis, analytically and with a profound, concerned, even humorous affection for life's goods and evils...
Published 14 months ago by Michele

3.0 out of 5 stars Touching and Funny
Published 12 months ago by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

3.0 out of 5 stars Touching and Funny, 7 July 2013
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Until Further Notice, I am Alive (Hardcover)
I confess to having found this book rather tough going. The memoirs of art critic Tom Lubbock, as he faced the reality of the fact that he was dying from a brain tumour, it was never going to be an easy read. It is terribly sad however, not because of the medical reality of the situation Lubbock was in, but the fact that it was robbing of his speech and his ability to think and write. This is what comes across loud and clear in this slim volume, the worry and the anxiety about not just leaving his wife and child, but the leaving of the anchor that was his ability and skill and his passion and livelihood. The repetition of his concerns take up pages and pages as he checks and rechecks what he can do, what he can't do, what he might do etc. It is such a sad and small tale of a great and enormous thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique opportunity, 13 Aug 2013
The book offers a unique opportunity to understand the process of illness, dying and losing language from the perspective of a writer who lifeline is language.

5.0 out of 5 stars diary pages of intelligence and emotion, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Until Further Notice, I am Alive (Hardcover)

There is an incredible depth and vastness, a fantasy and honesty, a sense of reality and imagination in Tom's suggestions.

Tom has left a gift to us all.

Not only in this diary have I recognized Tom's attitude towards life, but in his detailed descriptions I have also felt resonating his philosophical style of reasoning, his incredible approach to, and competence in the visual arts which used to characterize his speech.

Some observations, in the odd pages, have reminded me of Martin Heidegger, Eugene Ionesco, and William Blakes.

I think I have received this diary the way probably Tom Lubbock wanted us to perceive it: a legacy, a gift, a transversal existential message.

As a reader, I feel grateful of the self-reflexive effort Tom Lubbock has made, which is so meaningful also for us.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sad but True, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: Until Further Notice, I am Alive (Hardcover)
I found this meditation on living and dying pretty heavy going, in terms of both the subject matter and the style it was written in. To be fair, the author was losing his power of speech and his intellectual capacity to write as his brain tumour grew, and the overall tone tries to look on the bright side as much as possible. It can't hide the sadness, however, of a life being cut short in an untimely way. Tom Lubbock works his way through the ups and downs of his treatment, knowing that at some point the news will inevitably turn bad and terminal. How will he accept this when it comes? How will his wife and young son?
So it's quite a sad book, but it's not bitter nor angry. I feel he reached the acceptance of his fate he sought as the curtain came down, and that he died in peace. Which is all that any of us can hope for in the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty short, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Until Further Notice, I am Alive (Hardcover)
Quite a good read but I found it rather short, however, well written and easy to read in spite of the subject matter.

Until Further Notice, I am Alive
Until Further Notice, I am Alive by Tom Lubbock (Hardcover - 5 April 2012)
10.53