5.0 out of 5 stars "There's an infinite number of explanations..."
I started reading Keith Ridgway's Hawthorn and Child on the recommendation of John Self, who was at the time embarking on an experiment to see how effectively a book could be drawn to people's attention through social media. John's enthusiastic championing of the book meant my expectations were high; equally, he'd been very clear about the type of book Hawthorn and Child...
Published 24 months ago by Joanne Sheppard

3.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly bemused
Bits of this were excellent, a lot of it was gross and not much of it related to the almost non existent plot; especially towards the end. It has expanded my literary horizons and I think I enjoyed it! A book for contemplation and consideration, and definately not easy escapism.
Published 5 months ago by Katy Hillary

1.0 out of 5 stars No idea what it was all about, 15 Sep 2013
I kept reading this in the hope all would become clear, but it never did. Since hardly anyone is named it was completely confusing as to who was the character involved at any one time. None of the issues seemed to be resolved and I found it made me feel like I was blind folded or constantly in the middle of a pitch black rainy night. Not sure who I would recommend it to!

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and non-linear., 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hawthorn and Child (Paperback)
I thought this book would be a challenge, but I also assumed it would have answers to be found. It doesn't.
This is a collection of tales, not even all of them are connected. This is no 'Pulp Fiction' where the tales are intertwined. Occasionally a character from one story is mentioned in another. That's the connection.
Rothko's eggs was satisfying as a stand alone tale, as was the first chapter. Other than that, avoid at all costs.
It's all hype. Avoid avoid avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Well that's 8 hours of my life i'll never get back!, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Hawthorn and Child (Paperback)
Well thank you Mr Keith Ridgway, at least I know of one author to avoid in future.

I saw this book in the UK's best high street bookshop, with a review from one of the staff. I liked the cover (I know) and read a few pages and I was sold on this book.
After pretending to be a thriller, it turned out to be a collection of words in no order. I did complete reading Hawthorn&Child just to see if there was anything later that would redeem the book - there wasn't. I usually give my old books to charity, this one however I will use to light my stove.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Emperors new clothes, 5 Jun 2013
This book is written like Tarrantino's Pulp Fiction; a series of loosely connected stories. However, without any plot, structure or conclusion this is ultimately unsatisfying. It purports to be clever but has no sense of direction. Some of the prose is indeed very good but without a story this is wasted. One reviewer on the paperback cover says the book is "funny" - funny peculiar but not laugh out loud. I will not be reading any of Mr Ridgway's past or future offerings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange and compelling, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Hawthorn and Child (Paperback)
Fragmentary, post-modern narrative; it's a detective story where nothing is detected. There's a story, but it's not linear or sequential. Like channel hopping - but fascinating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissembler, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Hawthorn and Child (Paperback)
I rarely write reviews but felt compelled to do so by my experience of reading this book. Other reviewers consider the characters flawless, the lack of plot intriguing, and declare this a breakthrough book. Actually, it's just an incredibly dissatisfying read. I suspect the critics and positive reviewers feel clever by saying they 'get' it, when really there's nothing to get. It's disconnected, disjointed, and badly written in parts. Ridgway is a dissembler who lacks the ability to write an intelligently conceived and plotted work of fiction. There is one positive - this book made me search for literary comfort, which I've since found in the Persephone collection. Pure joy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Hawthorn and Child (Paperback)
Well, there's several hours of my life that I won't get back. Keith Ridgway spends the best part of 300 pages working out his short attention span at the poor reader's expense, disappearing up various blind alleys, introducing sub-plots and new characters without bothering to develop them, and leaving everything unexplained, a technique that some credulous reviewers have attributed to his literary genius but which reads more like carelessness. I have no objection to loose ends if they are thought-provoking, but Ridgway's ends are so badly and carelessly developed that I don't care.

Some of the passages are so badly written that it is impossible to fathom what is going on - Misha's suicide for example - and so many new threads are introduced and forgotten about that the whole thing reads like an exercise in style written for a creative writing class. Which is fine, but I don't want to have to read it. Rubbish.

1.0 out of 5 stars Clunky, poorly written. Don't bother borrowing from a library, certainly don't buy it., 3 Aug 2013
Hard work to read, weak story line, poor character development.... wasted a couple of hours on this and won't be reading any more of his 'books'.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hawthorn and child., 17 May 2013
This review is from: Hawthorn and Child (Paperback)
Must be a bit like being a police officer, not all cases get closed. Hard todefine where one story ended and another began

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to follow, 19 Mar 2013
P. Raybould (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hawthorn and Child (Paperback)
I read this book for a reading group and must admit I was quite dissapointed. The whole thing was very disjointed, jumping between characters heads and situations in a way that I found incredibly difficult to follow.

Hawthorn and Child
Hawthorn and Child by Keith Ridgway (Paperback - 4 April 2013)
6.29