4.0 out of 5 stars Compassion for all involved
I discovered this book on reading a quote in The Child Who which is a novel with a similar, although not the same, basis as the murder of James Bulger.

Published on 11 Dec 2011 by C. Bannister

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent narrative with a fatal flaw
The 2* rating I've given AS IF in no way reflects on the excellence of the narrative, which leads one to read compulsively from page to page.

Rather, my rating of this book is to highlight what is mostly forgotten in this book: that a society, which forgets the victims of a crime in its concern for the rights of the perpetrators, is neither liberal nor...
Published 13 months ago by Judy Croome

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Compassion for all involved, 11 Dec 2011
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: As If (Paperback)

Blake Morrison takes us through his days and thoughts while he sat in court where Robert Thompson and Jon Veneables were tried for murder, committed at the age of 10. The trial is intersperced with his thoughts of his own childhood as well as that of his children. His empathy includes everyone, the three sets of parents involved, the three children involved as well as the social workers, the teachers and the city of Liverpool. Don't be fooled though this isn't a simplistic no-one is to blame, the book reads well as he argues to and for several of these points e.g the parents are to blame; what about their parents?. Blake Morrison puts across the view that these children shouldn't have been tried in an adult court, rather they should have had access to pyschiatric help as soon as their involvement was discovered.

Although the premise of the book was to find out why? No obvious answers are found, was it pre-meditated or a prank gone wrong? How will we ever know when 10 year old boys don't think like adults? A sad book particularly in light of the revelation that Jon Veneables has had his parole licence revoked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Those who wish to comprehend this tragedy must read this, 11 Jan 2001
This review is from: As If (Paperback)
This was a book I wanted to read for some time. Coincidentally, as I finished it (Jan 2001), news broke that the two convicted boys will be granted anonymity on their release. Shortly afterwards, a telephone poll in the media reported 94% of the public disagreed with this judgement. Those 94% would rather the boys' location be public knowledge, inviting retribution. Those 94% should read this book. Blake Morrison doesn't have all the answers to the questions thrown up by this tragedy, nor does he claim to. All he does is implores them to be asked, implores us to ask them of ourselves. For example, do we not all have a memory, however vague, of some incident in our childhood which we are now at a loss to explain? It doesn't have to be murder, nor even violent. The point being there exists in all our formative years some act which we now, as adults, find morally questionable and so prefer to forget. The author recalls such events, and made me do the same. Sadly, it seems the majority of the public are too happy merely to demonize these boys, the more comfortable option. Now, I'm a father of a little boy, also called James. I found reading the detailed description of the route to murder (abduction finally culminating in the act itself), hard going; difficult to avoid thinking about my own son. However, this book is not about morbid fascination. It raises topics about upbringing, parenthood, nature/nurture, all in the quest to answer THE ONE QUESTION: WHY?

5.0 out of 5 stars A POWERFUL AND DISTURBING READ., 16 Jan 2000
This review is from: As If (Paperback)
This book is absolutely stunning. It's a gripping and truthful account of the murder of James Bulger. It is remarkably written leaving the reader deeply shocked and overcharged with emotion. This is the type of book that has you in tears but you still can not put it down. You feel compelled to read on. It is a must read for everybody if only to warn people how easily tragic events like this can occur. But be warned it is an unforgetable book which will haunt you after reading it. Blake Morrison writes the events beautifully and honestly. He tries wonderfully to answer the question 'Why' but his comments will go towards the great debate which will go on for a long time and may never be solved. As a reader who was only a couple of years older than the boys who killed James at the time I did not understand all the goings on surrounding the killing and court case so it was a must read for me when the book came out. As a case which is still very much in the headlines to this day, the book makes you realise that James's killers will be freed in a couple of years and will only be young men with all of their lives to live and James never saw past the toddler years. This book should be read by anyone who cares for children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, sensitive and beautifully written, 20 Feb 2003
This review is from: As If (Paperback)
"As If" is the author's attempt to understand the "why" of the murder of James Bulger. In an attempt to do this, comparisons are made with his own home life, history and feelings, and while there is no question that his writing is exquisite, too much of the book is given over to describing the author's circumstances. I agree with the reviewer who thought this rather self-indulgent, and I felt a little frustrated since I bought the book to read about the Bulger murder, and not Blake Morrison. I also would have liked more transcripts, drawings, etc.
And yet this seems a small price to pay, since it would then not be the extraordinary book it actually is. One particular account of the author visiting the murder scene left me overwhelmed by some of the most moving and powerful writing I think I have ever read! Morrison's honest treatment of the Bulger murderers is truly commendable, and anyone with so much as a passing interest in the case should read it, so long as they are prepared to forego sensationalism for something altogether more intelligent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Simple Wonder of Compassion and Empathy, 17 July 2007
I. Losada "Isabel Losada" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As If (Paperback)
I have long believed that 'To understand all is to forgive all' (Voltaire). Many people don't agree but I often wonder how those adults braying for two ten year old boys to be locked up as 'evil animals' would feel if they could see a video of the boys lives. What must they have been subjected to - we must ask ourselves as adults - to have been able to commit such a murder?

Morrison goes further than this... in order to understand he looks inside himself... as any good actor, Buddhist, Christian, believer or humanist must do. Every good actor that seeks to play a murderer must find the seeds of a murderer inside himself. It's only then when we truly see how, had the dice fallen differently, any one of those three boys could have been our sons - that we can have the compassion and empathy that such a case cries out for.

It is 2007 now and yet STILL emails circulate asking us to add our names to complaints that the judge had compassion and offered them new lives and new identities. So if you get such an email, and feel inclined to add your name - read this book first.

And if, like me, you are saddened by the lack of understanding and compassion displayed by humanity, read Blake Morrison's book. As he says so wonderfully - even if you don't agree that 'To understand all is to forgive all' you may agree that to understand nothing is to forgive nothing. This is all around us. The alternative, the way of peace and of forgiveness has to be worked hard for.

So thank you Blake Morrison - for this exceptionally brave piece of writing. And for teaching us about wisdom and compassion.

5.0 out of 5 stars a harrowing throught provoking book that kept me awake, 7 April 2002
This review is from: As If (Paperback)
I have always believed that the boys that killed James Bulger needed listening to and thats what Blake Morrison does. He takes us on a vist back to his childhood and those of the 'evil' boys and tries and in my opinion suceeds in showing us how wronged the all three boys were, not just Jamie Bulger.
I came away with a sence of shame, at being an adult and for allowing other adults to band together and not see that it was in fact our fault that James got killed, read the book with an open mind, and don't put it down until you have read each word and understood each line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and thought-provoking, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: As If (Kindle Edition)
Not a comfortable read, but does make you question your own values and assumptions about the public version of events surrounding this crime. Also puts children to the forefront as sentient beings, and asks us to weigh up the balance of culpability and vulnerability of all concerned in the terrible murder of James Bulger and the resultant media reports of the trial and convictions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly, an inconvenient truth, 23 July 2007
This review is from: As If (Paperback)
Can a book about the brutal murder of a child and the trial of the killers be considered a favourite?

This is one of mine.

The Bulger case is famous and so few will come to this without a preconceived idea about the killers, but this is a book which makes you think in a way you probably never thought you would. Could it be that the two boys who brutally killed another child are not monsters, but just children?

The author not only writes exceptionally well, he offers an eye-witness account of the trial and the key figures, putting himself - and so you - in awkward places, asking awkward questions to search for a truth about us as humans as much as why this terrible thing happened that day.

Highly recommended, but be warned: once read your view might become a minority one and far removed from the screaming Daily Mail mob mentality next time a similar case arises.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Courage to ask why - of oneself, 29 Jun 2005
This review is from: As If (Paperback)
To question the 'Why' of the murder of James Bulger is to revisit, an inch at a time with complete honesty. The importance of Blake Morrison's book is his compassion for each person immediately involved without sinking into sentimentality and easy self righteousness. However just as important his unflinching return to his own childhood, his remarkable insight into the unformed minds of children - for our pressuposition that the age of ten is old enough to know 'right from wrong' in any adult sense - and his small but telling details of just how profoundly this killing affected him, listening to the taped evidence day after day.
This is a hard book to take unless you morally place your childhood self above others - in which case it will not be of sufficient interst to merit the demands that morrison places on his readers. I was reminded a lot about my own childhood - though it neither resembled Morrison's or Thompson and Venables.
This is a searingly honest, engrossing book about a terrible and still rare phenomena - the ideal antidote to the screaming pages of the tabloids and to the quick desire to dissociate oneself from a crime which is an indictment of our country's attitude to children, class, poverty and the sheer drudgery suffered by so many children - a burning fuse that, when it reaches its end blasts away our preconceptions and smug assumptions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and fair, 10 Jan 2008
NB (Middlesbrough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As If (Paperback)
I was interested in this as the Bulger case was one of the cases I covered in my dissertation on the link between violent media and violent acts. I wasn't disappointed.

Although it did touch on the media violence angle, I was pleased that this was a detailed look at the case and our society as a whole.

Starting with a lengthy ramble through the children's crusades, I wondered where this was going, but it made sense once he started talking about the case.

Blake Morrison was at the trial of Robert Thompson and Jon Venables in Preston, and looks at their backgrounds, influences, the nature of childhood and evil to find out what I wanted to know at the time: why?

There are a few passages I found hard to read (especially one that reads like a sex scene but turns out to be a description of him putting his daughter to bed) but this is a complex book that covers a lot but never strays too far that it loses your attention.

As Morrison illustrates, children can be, and often are cruel.

Through personal anecdotes, fables and factual examples, he looks at why children are portrayed as innocent, when they are far from that, and sets out a calm and fair conclusion that is far more thought-provoking than anything else I've read on the subject.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

As If
As If by Blake Morrison (Paperback - 4 Aug 2011)
6.99