Published 21 months ago by Pjhale

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad
Not bad. I enjoyed the description of the journey up the Magdalena and the characters and encounters Jacob's experienced along the way. Jaoob's intertwines the history of Columbia and the Magdalena well.

The element of the book that concentrates on Alzheimer's and flicks in and out throughout I found okay at first. Obviously very personal to Jacobs given both...
Published 9 months ago by Nico

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I read it on my return from Colombia rather than before!, 22 Mar 2013
Pjhale - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Robber of Memories: A River Journey Through Colombia (Hardcover)
I had hoped to receive this book for Christmas and take it with me to Colombia when I travelled there in January this year to birdwatch. Fortunately I didn't buy it until after my return for although it is well written, it painted a very different Colombia from the one I found. Unlike some other reviewers, for me I found the links between his mother's illness and the Rio Magdalena, worked well. On a personal note, I too travelled near the Rio Magdalena at times and at one time was taken to the river bank by a friendly bus driver - "Mi tierra es su tierra". I did not travel as far south as Michael Jacobs did as I knew that area is still not safe. So enjoy this book but don't let it put you off visiting Colombia, much of which is now safe, friendly, beautiful and welcoming. Every Colombian I met asked me "How do you find Colombia?" I was travelling alone, much of the time by bus, staying in beautiful bird reserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars memorable, 9 Jan 2013
A fascinating and poignant book. It made me more determined than ever to visit Colombia - and to hang on to my memories as long as possible!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 8 Jan 2013
Giles Edwards - See all my reviews
Michael Jacobs blends travelogue with literary, social, cultural and political history - as well as personal rumination on his mother's illness. It is beautiful, magical, transporting you to the very many places along the Magdalena which, having read it, you will want to visit.

4.0 out of 5 stars required reading for fans of Colombia, 24 Nov 2012
As someone who knows Colombia well, I can recommend this book. I am hoping to visit the area Michael covers in the Spring of next year, when I go again on holiday. I have followed parts of the Magdalena when journeying from Medellin to Bogota and it really is magical country.
To anyone who is thinking of going to Colombia, I say : "Go!" Leave your prejudices behind. It is a beautiful land; the people are warm, open and hospitable and it is safe. The present, and previous, governments of Presidents Uribe and Santos have moved heaven and earth to end the civil conflict, and it is happening now.
You will be safe......and stunned by the country!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 May 2013
I've never been to Colombia so wasn't sure that this book would have much traction for me: how wrong I was. It's a terrific read, a wonderful portrayal of the country, its tragic recent history and political incompetence, of its great river and touchingly of the author's Colombian friends and acquaintances. It had me reaching for flight timetables - until the last section of the book which describes FARC's tragicomic attempt to improve its public image. Two small reservations. The reflections on memory and its loss added little, despite the subject's obvious personal significance for the author. And, a shame (as so often with books grounded in a particular geographic location) that the sketch map is inadequate. But, nonetheless, superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars stuart, 2 Jan 2013
Stuart Lamb "swl582001" (Astrakhan russia) - See all my reviews
Having lived in Colombia, and knowing this river it was a great read for me, also the part about his mothers illness was sad for me as my aunt had just gone through a similar period of life and then pasted away, all in all a very heart rendering read

5.0 out of 5 stars The Robber O Memories:, 7 Dec 2012
If you like travel books this is a mustread, Colombia is shown to be such a fantastic country. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Robber of Memories: A River journey through Colombia, 31 Jan 2013
I rate this book highly because it was easy to read, interesting, gave me an insight into a country I know quite well. It was a journey that could not have been undertaken unless one was a fluent Spanish speaker. It had a good deal of suspense and the ending when they reached the headwaters of the Magdalena was tense in the extreme. The theme of Garcia Marquez' memory loss, its connection to both his parents who were suffering with the same afflication gives an insight into a worldwide problem of Alzheimer's - and yet we were still rolling along on a travel story along the Magdalena river. Fascinating to learn that in one region through which the river passes, entire populations have been stricken with a rare strain of early onset Alzheimer's. A touching meditation on the nature of forgetfulness and forgetting woven into an exhilarating travel account.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a travel book, 11 Feb 2014
Nice story when you are interested in Colombia. Traveling towards the source of the Magdalena river is a interesting and sometimes strange and even a dangerous trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful travel journey!, 2 Sep 2014
Very enthusiastic, well written, personal travel journey. A combination of passion for traveling, writing, and literature. It shows how important culture and art are in reflecting our daily lives, the environment we're living in and to ourselves.

The Robber of Memories: A River Journey Through Colombia
The Robber of Memories: A River Journey Through Colombia by Michael Jacobs (Hardcover - 1 Nov 2012)