5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful....
Patrick Barkham's account of a year spent looking for all of Britain's butterflies is a wonderfully well balanced book. While his quest for the 59 species known to breed in the UK is central to the book, there is so much more to the story that just his quest for each species.

The book seems to follow the tradition of a number of bird watching stories where a...
Published on 25 Oct 2010 by Stewart M

3.0 out of 5 stars Humour bypass?
I enjoyed this book, but it was crying out for a bit of humour. Essentially once you've read one account of him finding a butterfly you have heard them all. Nonetheless I found it interesting enough to hold my attention, just wish it was a bit lighter in some points.
Published 3 months ago by Damian Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful read!, 21 Feb 2011
I have just finished reading this wonderful book and would reccomend it to anyone! I was fascinated and couldn't put it down! Full of great information and detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Butterfly Isles, 19 Jan 2011
P. Collier (UK) - See all my reviews
Brillaint book, well written gives you a real insight into general locations and times to go butterfly spotting. Could have done with more specific locations.I really enjoyed this and made me look into butterflies further.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read!, 4 Jan 2011
Gave this to my husband for Christmas and he is really enjoying reading it. He has always had a fascination for butterflies and we belong to Butterfly Conservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written, re-invigourated my interest, 3 Jan 2011
Well written, well researched and put together. As someone who is interested in all nature but not a butterfly expert this really fires you up to seek out a few of the not so common ones. In fact if you don't go soon it may be too late for some of them. Lots of extra info in the back including OS grid refs of sites, chronological list of butterflies spotted etc, plus very useful refs and booklist. The only down side is the plates of all butterflies, but this is not an ID book. Have Wildguides Britians Butterflies to hand and you will have the full package.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Butterfly Isles, 1 Jan 2011
Fw Richmond "William" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
It was purchased a s a present for my brother-in-law and sister who are avide butterfly watchers.
They have informed me that it is a fabulous book and they are both dipping into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming obsession, 31 Dec 2010
As a long-standing butterfly enthusiast, I was delighted with this beautifully written book. The landscapes of Britain, the personalities of the author's friends and family, and the enthusiasts and experts he meets are memorable and sympathetically described. It reads as a journey through the British seasons, conjuring the charms of encountering the natural world in countryside and urban settings. I agree that butterflies and moths tend to be a masculine obsession, but I was pleased to hear that this is not necessarily so nowadays! I read this greedily, and look forward to re-reading as the new year turns and the seasons and butterflies he describes come round again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Dec 2010
I bought this for my dad fo christmas and he loved it. Its full of information about butterflies but it also has pictures in too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book for nerds, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Butterfly Isles: A Summer In Search Of Our Emperors And Admirals (Paperback)
This book was chosen by our readers' group, and resulted in a 50/50 like/dislike. I didn't like the writer,, and found his presentation too personal. I was left not caring one jot whether butterflies were to disappear completely. This was one man's personal aim to see every british butterfly in a year, rather than a book celebrating butterflies.

1.0 out of 5 stars With apologies to the friend who gave the book to me, 14 May 2013
I read page 1 of The Butterfly Isles and was immediately put off by the author writing about his dad, rather than his father. Still, I plodded on. However, on page 9 worse was to come. Do they not insist on students being in command of English grammar at Cambridge University where Patrick Barkham apparently received his higher education? Writing about wanting to come to an accommodation with the Purple Emperor he continues: "It eluded and taunted my dad and I for years ....." I could not bring myself to read on, but as the book was a present from a dear friend I felt I should have another go several weeks later. After page 39 my brain refused to concentrate on the words on the page and I finally gave up.

The writing style is pedestrian, and the book is utterly boring.

2.0 out of 5 stars Butterfly book?, 1 Jan 2011
Loraine Smith (Melbourne, Vic., Australia) - See all my reviews
Very disappointed. Thought it would have plenty of photos of butterflies, but it is simply a story or autobiography of some kind. I haven't read it and will probably throw it out or give to some unsuspecting friend!

The Butterfly Isles: A Summer In Search Of Our Emperors And Admirals