5.0 out of 5 stars Esther Woolfson is a marvelous author
Another gem from Esther Woolfson. We really enjoyed reading Corvus and I recommended the book to family and friends. As soon As Field Notes From A Hidden City was published, we got it so that we would see Aberdeen through Esther Woolfson's eyes. Her writing and insight, her powers of observation, love and understanding of nature make this not only an enjoyable, but...
Published on 5 Jun. 2013 by 666albertastarr

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointed
I am rather disappointed by this book. There is more philosophy and quotes from other writers than I would like in what I thought was a wildlife book. The first quarter of the book seems to be a very long winded lament about snow, I have no memories of quite the endless winter and snow that is described.
Not at all what I expected, could not recommend it.
Published 13 months ago by Jo Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh look at town life for animals and birds., 30 Jun. 2014
Ms Woolfson's books are a delight, opening up so many hidden joys of our wildlife...I recommend her to all my friends...and do so again now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointed, 20 Jun. 2014
Not at all what I expected, could not recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book with a conscience, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Field Notes From a Hidden City (Hardcover)
A calming read at the end of a crazy day at work. Lovely. Not something I would have usually chosen.
A different point of view.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 26 Sept. 2014
hard going, but rewarding

4.0 out of 5 stars CHARMING STUFF, 16 April 2013
This review is from: Field Notes From a Hidden City (Hardcover)
Though I much preferred her more animal-based 'Corvid' book, this is full of nice dreamy descriptions of her Aberdeen area which almost makes that dull town seem enchanting. Great for a rainy day, curled up by the fire with a lazy cuppa.

2.0 out of 5 stars What annoyed me so much was the portrayal of Aberdeen as ..., 27 Jun. 2014
The wildlife featured was limited and did not cover a lot of the unusual things found in Aberdeen. What annoyed me so much was the portrayal of Aberdeen as a cold,wet,miserable city.II lived there for 33years and found it to be a most beautiful city. Yes,it can be cold but the wonderful days of glorious sunshine are many,especially after snow and frost. The long summer days are wonderful,the strength of the sun in such a clean atmosphere is amazing and the sunsets are amongst the best in the world.The Granite City sparkles and is unique in the UK.The author has obviously picked a bad year but we get those throughout UK occasionally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stimulating and enjoyable, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Field Notes From a Hidden City (Hardcover)
I would recommend this to anyone who really cares about our relationship to the natural world, a good antidote to the kind sloppy sentimentality that characterises a lot of contemporary thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 July 2014
GOOD

Field Notes From a Hidden City
Field Notes From a Hidden City by Esther Woolfson (Hardcover - 7 Feb. 2013)