Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 January 2011
This was a superb purchase. I am no expert on Irish fiction, so I write as a newcomer to the genre, but I found the stories contained in this collection poignant and evocative. The book is also beautifully bound and looks well on any bookshelf. I am happy to recommend it.
on 1 February 2012
I found this book to be thought provoking but a bit melancholic. Most of the stories have a dark undercurrent but the writing was so good they carried you along. I would happily recommend this book for the poetry of the writing and the inventiveness of the authors.
on 9 May 2014
There's some wonderful,. evocative writing here. Irish storytellers have the knack of making you feel as if you were listening to someone talking to you. The rhythm of the prose and the subtle delineation of the characters stand out.
However, for my taste, and, surprisingly, at least in the stories I've read, there's a lack of humour and they can come across as almost dour.
on 29 March 2015
My favourite collection of short stories.
on 26 August 2011
This is Granta at its best. The selection of stories are fantastic. I also subscribe to Quarterly Granta, The best contemporary English writing covering a range of topics that keeps you gobsmacked. Well done Granta.
on 18 July 2014
This a fabulous collection and a great introduction to Irish literature.
on 9 March 2011
This book was given to me and I persevered all the way to the end, hoping to find a glimmer of hope. There were almost none. Beautifully, poetically written but mainly dark, heavy, dreary stories. Might be a good read for Lent?