5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect book for runners who like to think
Having read Mark Rowlands' "The Philosopher and the Wolf", I was excited to find out that another book from this original and thoughtful author was on its way. Like The Philosopher and the Wolf, Mark offers insightful, creative and thought-provoking insights on our approach to running and how we could think differently about it and life in general. It's an uplifting book...
Published 18 months ago by Paul C

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read
It's an interesting concept for a book. I enjoyed his meandering philosophical musings on running, life - and dogs - although I'm not sure it would be everyone's cup of tea.
Published 12 months ago by Miriam

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 27 Aug 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Still to complete it., 12 May 2013
Haven't read all of this, but might do some time. I've only read the earlier chapters because he seemed to repeat himself.

Seems to make the same observations that I have over the years, but I don't pretend to be philosophical. I too feel that running takes me back to basics, and yes, it is a form of meditation; no more and no less than that. He seems to wrap it all up in more mystique than necessary.

I'm a dog lover too, so the doggy angle is interesting!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit hard to follow, 28 April 2013
Perhaps I'm just not intelligent enough for such deep writing, but I found it hard going and didn't get to the end. I'm sure it will be suitable for the "meaning of life" researcher, but not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars really enjoying this book, 19 April 2013
Never really read any philosophy before but I am a keen runner and I am enjoying the ideas and thoughts in this book and the way that they are set out

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather heavy going - certainly not Born to Run, 19 April 2013
The 1.99 price for this as a Kindle download was about right. This book is heavy going and there are times where I was surprised as I could make sense of the musings of a philosopher runner. In fact, at times the book made total sense, especially to a Brit who like to British view-point of why we run. I can imagine that philosophy students will consume the book with glee. Other may give up after not too many pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark Rowlands thoughts on dogs, running and life, 17 April 2013
Read and enjoyed The Philosopher and the Wolf so eagerly sought out this book. Not as yet completely finished it but I have so far enjoyed playing with the concepts he introduces. It is a book which absorbs and stimulates but which also deals with themes of love and loss with such compassion and love. I am there with him every thud of every inch of every bone and joint creaking mile.

4.0 out of 5 stars What I Think About When I Run With My Wolf, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Running with the Pack: Thoughts from the Road on Meaning and Mortality (Paperback)
Mark Rowlands's "The Philosopher and the Wolf" - a popular philosophy best-seller based upon the writer's decade spent living with a wolf - was one of my favourite reads last year, and I was delighted to see that Rowlands came out with a new book. As a keen runner (and walker - I run the walking blog The Walking Post dot com) with a lay interest in philosophy, I was looking forward to a book about running and philosophy.

I have not read a lot of books about running, but I imagine that many of them take kind of a can-do, optimistic view of things. Doesn't regular physical exercise turn most people into more optimistic beings? If this is so, Mark Rowlands is not one of them - at least not in the traditional sense. "Running with the Pack" does not have an ounce of esoteric "our bodies are just avatars" speculation or "you can be whatever you dare to dream" pep talk in it. Rowlands does think a lot about the body and the mind (Descartes and dualism feature prominently in the book), but he keeps his feet firmly on the ground.

Nevertheless, Running with the Pack, and The Philosopher and the Wolf for that matter, are by no means pessimistic books - actually I find them very life-affirming in their core, mainly because of their sincerity. Rowlands takes a really honest look at life, and at the inevitable end of it, which awaits all of us. But it's this expiry date of the human body (and not speculation of what may lie beyond) that really makes him explore and live the here and now in a very intense way. So this sense, "Running with the Pack" is an optimistic book - not optimistic in that it puts its hope into faith (religious or other), but in that it explores who we really are and concludes that we can search for the meaning of our own lives if we try hard enough.

If you're interested in physical activity and philosophy, and how they marry up, "Running with the Pack" is a very engaging read. It is in many ways very different from Murakami's "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running", but both writers use running to talk about life and philosophy (Rowlands) or writing (Murakami). My guess is that if you liked Murakami's running memoir, you will want to read Rowlands's "Running with the Pack".

5.0 out of 5 stars It is not about running..., 13 Jun 2013
It is not about running, it is about life and death, what's important and what love is, and so much more. I could not put it down. It touched me, made me cry, inspired me.

4.0 out of 5 stars 40, 8 Jun 2013
Do not read this book if you are hitting a landmark birthday!! Read this as my 40th loomed and the book go's into human decline. It's so well written poetic even. After reading this I am going to make the most of everything.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious, 9 Jun 2013
Dull as ditchwater. Too much about him, and psychobabble - much too much - and not nearly enough about running. Only my opinion of course, and I see others liked it.

Running with the Pack: Thoughts from the Road on Meaning and Mortality