Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 April 1999
I read this to my 4th grade daughter, and hoped my 5th grade would like it also. He was bored, but she enjoyed it, and has written her own review. For her enjoyment, and her improved attitude about mathematics, I am thankful for this book. It helped me remember some fun facts about math that make it real for children.
However, I struggled reading it, becuase of its repetitiveness in dialog between robert and the devil, and because of its sameness of tone throughout. for this, I was hopelessly bored also. Read this to your children for what it is, and don't expect very creative situations. there are few.
it is appealing by description, but for adult reading it is a snoozer. Perhaps it is better read by children themselves (mine are good readers, but love being read to).
on 13 October 2009
Brilliant book for those who have problems getting their heads around maths 9 - 13 year olds.
on 2 September 2009
In a quick light format different areas of number theory & patterns are illustrated in a child (and parent reader) friendly way. It is a good stop, wonder & think read.
The lightly suggested hands-on suggestions are excellent and really do help understanding.
When you have finished you will be amazed at the number of different maths topics that have been lightly covered without boredom setting in.
For me it only merits 4 stars as too many areas are noted and generate children/parent questions without providing enough of a surface level answer to satisfy.
For those wanting to raise an interest in maths & either have the knowledge or time to explore from the multiple starting points it is a 5 star book.
on 14 May 1999
The Number Devil is one of the best books I have ever read. I am only 11 years old and even though it explored mathematical theories, I thought it was an amazing novel which was unputdownable. Robert is the main character in the story, and each night he dreams of the number devil. The number devil teaches Robert different mathematical aspects in a way which is simple to understand. Most of my maths class at school has read it and they also agree that it's a great book. I highly reccomend this for anyone from 10 plus.
on 12 May 2003
I've been reading this, one chapter a night, to my younger 2 (9 and 8 years old) and we've really enjoyed it. It has had the unexpected bonus of leading to further discussion, revealing gaps in their knowledge, and giving me the chance to fill the gaps (and as any maths teacher knows, those small gaps, unplugged, develop into horrible chasms through which fall all hope of enjoying maths in later life).
Not sure what I feel about not using the correct terminology. Although prima-donnas created a wonderful picture, what's wrong with the word prime? Enzensberger tells us one doesn't dream in real words, but does use mathematical terminology most of the time. Also, having said 1 isn't a prima-donnas, the devil then says any prima-donna larger than five is the sum of three prima-donnas. But you can't make 7 out of three pd's unless you do allow 1. So I am left with the quandary, is 1 a prime or not?
on 23 December 2011
From year 5 and above this is an absolute golden nugett. It totally engages the young reader while improving reading AND numeracy skills. Originally recommended by a retiring head teacher this book has been under my sons pillow for the last three years as he reads and rereads it. I have recomended it to all my pupils and often bought it as a present - Last one was just today
on 2 March 2014
Appeals to kids who like reading, but not maths, and to those who prefer maths to reading. Loved the central characters and the mathematical topics handled. Maybe not every teacher would approve of the Glossary "translating" the devil's terms into the real mathematical ones.
on 25 August 2015
Easy read. Learned some fun tips.
on 20 August 2015
loved gift by a 9 year Boy
on 8 November 2006
I had high hopes for this book. It had been recommended by various home education websites. However, my son and I found the story all too artificial and the writing weak. The maths was fun in some chapters and exceedingly dull in others. Not the worst book I've ever read, but I wouldn't recommend buying it.