5.0 out of 5 stars Well of the beaten track & excellent for it.
Published 22 months ago by Michael J. Law

2.0 out of 5 stars A tiring read
I didn't know what to expect of this book. Perhaps because I picked this up after reading Americanah by Vhimamanda, I found this tiresome and boring. Was it an autobiography, a tourist guide book, or history lesson. A ramble of thoughts during this lady's journey in my opinion is not worth selling to the public. I feel the only reason why this book sells is because of...
Published 17 months ago by Book lover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well of the beaten track & excellent for it., 21 Nov 2012
Michael J. Law "eurolease" (Teulada Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Looking for Transwonderland: Travels in Nigeria (Paperback)
I have visited Nigeria several times. It is a baffling place. The great question has always been, how does a country, so inherently wealthy, serve its population so badly? When I enquired as to travelling internally in Nigeria, (for example to the plateau of Jos), my Nigerian friends strongly counselled against it. This book describes a journey many Nigerians would like to undertake, but most would hesitate to do, mainly for personal safety issues. Highway robberies, lack of hygiene, corrupt police etc.. The Anglicised Nigerian author illuminates not only the physical topography of the land, but also unravels some reasons as to why the country is as it is. A very good read, and well off the beaten track. I really do recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive and amusing journey into the author's past., 18 Jan 2012
I loved this book. As someone who also was brought up outside my country of birth and forced to visit as a child, the author's journey around Nigeria really resonated with me. I loved learning about Nigeria, seen through her eyes. I came away feeling the love the author has for her roots, yet the frustration she and many others feel about the ineffectual military and civilian governments Nigeria has had since independence. The star of the journey really was Nigeria and its people, I'd love to visit one day!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 3 Mar 2012
L. Johnson "Lorraine" (London) - See all my reviews
I ordered this book after listening to some of the episodes on Radio 4. It will make you laugh & make you cry. If you have lived in Nigeria you will absolutely identify with a lot of Noo's witty & insightful observations. This book was written with love & honesty & always finding gems in unexpected places. I didn't want the book to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Personal Picture, 29 May 2013
traveller (stirling, scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This was an excellent read - through the author's narration of her experiences, I learned so much about a country I have never visited and know very little about, and the details about her life woven through the book added to the enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable record of travels in Nigeria, 9 Jan 2013
I bought this as it was on special offer and a very good buy. I had heard of the authors father but knew nothing about the family at all. I was not disappointed, the book is riveting. I am so glad the book goes beyond the surface, so many people get completely sidetracked by the topic of corruption and fail to see anything else. The author succeeds in capturing much of the humour and warmth of Nigerian people and writes with wit and honesty. She does share her frustrations and fears and I think the book is better for their inclusion. No book can capture the reality of a whole nation and its people but I think she does offer a snapshot and gives an insight into the experience of homecoming for an expatriate.

All in all an excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful read, 12 May 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, first hearing a couple of the serial readings on Woman's Hour (BBC Radio 4).

Noo Saro-Wiwa's visually wealthy account of her tour round her land of birth is honest, humane and often very funny, the scenery changing so as to keep it fresh. She made some profound and moving observations that tempt me already to reread the book and unfortunately I was unable to highlight these gems as I couldn't work out how to do it on my new Kindle (basic). I kiss my teeth at myself for that.

The brief pedagogic moments of Nigerian history, especially the mark her father made in that nation and on his own family sit very well with the backdrops of the chaos of Lagos, the dust of the north, the humid forests and crummy hotels.

She writes beautifully and with an economy (ie no verbosity) that for me was welcome as too often these days many writers over "wordsmith" what they have to communicate, their skill coming before the tale. Horses for courses though, some like that intellectual exercise.

With her mixed feelings and alternating optimism and pessimism for Nigeria becoming increasingly nuanced as her travels progressed, she did develop her dream of an economic future for Nigeria which I found immensely intelligent. She should be an economist really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book., 18 Feb 2012
This is a remarkable book on Nigeria. It is frequently hilarious, tender and harsh. My favourite chapter was the journey to the amusement park the book is named after. This chapter communicates her journey on so many levels and it really made me laugh. The author gave me a great insight into a country I knew very little about before. It is a fluid and lucid read, and really entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking for Transwonderland -Travels in Nigeria, 29 Jan 2012
A culture clash taking place within one young woman. Insightful snapshots of Nigerian life viewed through eyes of British raised Nigerian. Comic moments written with warmth and empathy. Riveting reading by a skilled writer who has deep concerns for the country of her parents birth . Sheds light on dilemma of cultural clashes in our increasingly multi cultural society, Excellently written. Good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantabulous!!!!, 28 Jun 2013
Fantastic and fabulous. If you're Nigerian you'll love it, if you're not you'll love it!!!
Brilliant writing, doesn't feel like a travel book at, reads more like fiction, an unbelievable journey!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide for anyone planning to visit Nigeria!, 3 Jun 2013
An excellent read especially for those of us who have lived and worked in Nigeria. I recommend that anyone visiting Nigeria should read this.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Looking for Transwonderland: Travels in Nigeria
Looking for Transwonderland: Travels in Nigeria by Noo Saro-Wiwa (Paperback - 5 Jan 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01