Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 November 2010
This slim volume, issued as a centenary celebration of the MacCaig's birth, is both a fitting tribute and a perfect introduction to the work of one of the grand old men of British poetry. Vivid with highland landscapes and shot through with fiery feelings modestly expressed, Norman MacCaig's poems are musical, wry and haunting. Whether lamenting a dead collie, or celebrating Buddha-like frogs he is a master of observation: his voice is intimate, compassionate and brimming with awe for the natural world. Though he died at a fine age, we can still mourn him. 'I look at the face of death,' he writes in Myself After Her Death 'and say 'I hate you' to destroy such wonders.' Buy this book for yourself, or even better buy it for others, and you can be sure it will be cherished.
on 7 February 2011
Really enjoy this book, why was I not taught this at School all these years ago, taken 50 years to find such poetry. Many thanks to Andrew Greig book "At the Green Loch for the introduction."
on 28 July 2013
Brilliant range of poems encompassing every aspect of life. Stunning, often simple but always thought provoking and accessible. These collections have marked key moments in my life and I am now buying them to mark those in my boys' lives...
on 22 June 2015
Excellent
Norman MacCaig was a teacher at my primary school in Edinburgh 60 years ago!
on 6 June 2016
New to me, I was delighted with this book. Norman Macaid's poems are moving, rewarding, deeply touching.
on 19 May 2015
Great book re great poet. now saving for larger edition
on 24 April 2016
bought as a present for my mum. She loved it.
on 14 November 2015
Entirely satifactory
on 12 January 2015
School book for 15 year olds.