Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 November 2010
I wasn't quite sure when I came to this book - not being a Pagan and that. But once I'd started it, I found it absolutely delightful.

At long, long, last, something for the boys! As the author writes:

When ARE we going to have a class on "boyism"? This is not just a Canadian or a Unitarian problem. Look at the bookshelves down at the local Pagan/New Age bookstore. There are shelves of books that deal with the Goddess and woman's spirituality, even a few written especially for Pagan girls but very little specifically for men and almost nothing for Pagan boys.

He's so right. There was something, yonks ago, I think by Robert Gray - 'Iron Man' or similar? But this is, actually the better read, and it's a good read whether you're a Pagan or not. As a journal-writer myself I love the title of 'The Book of Light and Shadows' or simply 'the Book of Shadows' and quite a lot of the rest of the advice is spiritual/psychologically-recognised 'good stuff.'

The book also writes of rites of passage which are so essential to us all. The great American Mystic Joseph Campbell once said that young men who steal cars and burn them are only seeking their age-old, longed-for rite of passage within a tribe where they would be sent out to kill their own lion. And there's a good sense of time here. You're advised to take a full year out to plan your own manhood rite of passage.

I personally use wine rather than juice for my libation to the gods. But there's no doubt the garden's been nicer to me since I started that practice. It's lovely to give real food back to the earth and her ministers.

Recommended - and not just for Pagans either.
on 5 September 2010
Salt Lake City witch, Austin, reviews the book.
on 20 March 2011
This is an excellent book, not just for pagans but for parents with pagan teenagers.
It takes alot for me to read a book..I am not an avid book reader it really has to draw me in or i lose interest but this book ticked all the boxes and i found myself reading sections over and over!
The book explores growing up and discovering yourself. At last finally a book for boys!! I really could have used a book like this when i first started exploring paganism as a young teen....there is so much to learn from it. I think it's an excellent read and I would definitly recommend any pagan teenage boys go pick up a copy you will learn alot from this!
The book explores beginning your pagan journey and sets a starting point for you to continue on...So many of todays modern books on paganism are just "goddess orientated" although the book does talk about the goddess there is much stuff in here about the god which is great! This is also good read for early teens as it explains a lot about growing up and what you encounter as a young teen.
If your not pagan this is still a good read as it explains a lot about it. The illustrations are nice too.
Great book!
on 15 February 2013
this is a great beginners book for young male pagans. It has lots of great information and ideas for boys to do and also goes into the changes around puberty and a ritual into manhood. I got this for my son and although he's not interested at the moment, it's there for when he is.
on 18 December 2010
A useful introduction to the subject, and recommended reading for those starting out on their journeys

Michael Berman PhD, author of Shamanic Journeys through the Caucasus