on 8 January 2010
This is a great way to approach clutter clearing. The book made me laugh AND motivated me to DO something. The author gave me a variety of ways to approach clearing my clutter -- not just one method. I can choose what I want to tackle and when, and the best method for me. I have been following the author through her columns in the local paper, a neighborhood newspaper, and an online newsletter. One of the techniques that she has mentioned in her articles and in the book, that I use now all the time, is timing myself when I do a task I hate. Removing clean dishes from the dishwasher and putting them away only takes me about 5 minutes. Now when I consider the dreaded task, I say "it only takes 5 minutes" and I get it done, well, at least most days. Whew! See page 199 (Fall Section: Chapter 2) for that and other time management ideas.

The book covers a variety of clutter -- from objects to paper to time management, all in a nonjudgmental way. The book approaches clutter clearing in ways that I had not thought of. Approaching clutter clearing as a way to give it to someone else who could really use it, or so that I have more time for myself, were both really motivating approaches for me. The tips and resources at the end of the book were also valuable. I highly recommend this book!
VINE VOICEon 22 December 2009
More than a clearing clutter book, Barbara guides you in clearing physical, emotional and mental clutter. Everything is covered, nothing is missed from car-boot and garage sales to cleaning and organising the bathroom and/or friendships.

Gosh, I didn't know I was doing so many of these things, naturally, already, until I read this book. I'm now patting myself on the back and congratulating myself on my clutter clearing abilities....but I remember when, as a messy, worried teen and young adult, I lived in a pile of muddly clothes and had to dig in the pile to find something to wear.

Those days are long gone, but only by learning the terribly hard way. Save yourself years of grief and heartache and learn, the easy way, how to make space and clear your life from all sorts of clutter.

Great book, would make an ideal present for a messy Pisces, slap-dash Gemini or worried Virgo.
on 28 January 2010
This book is a real eye-opener! It encouraged me to begin to make a clean sweep, not only of my accumulation of unused possessions but also of clogging old thoughts that were standing in the way of my goals. What a relief! Barbara Tako writes like a friend whose advice you value. Fellow hoarders, I urge you to grab this book today!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 February 2010
I think most of us would love to have a beautifully tidy, organized house. The problem is that few of us have the time or inclination to walk behind our family members cleaning up as they make messes. Life happens. Papers pile up. We put things on the top of the refrigerator hoping to organize them later. Of course, later never comes. Before we know it, everything is a bit out of control.

These days there are plenty of books on how to clear clutter. Some teach time management. Others look at storage solutions. Still others look at clutter as a symbol of emotional clutter.

Clutter Clearing Choices includes a bit from each clutter camp. The author includes tips for getting organized and some products that will get you started. She also talks about the importance of simplifying and keeping only what you love or actually use.

Throughout, the author is realistic- she isn't naturally tidy or organized and really hates to clean. Yet, she gets great satisfaction from keeping her underwear drawer tidy. An organized underwear drawer today, perhaps a clean living room tomorrow.
on 7 June 2010
after a major push on my time-management, i realized i need a re-assessment of commitments - and first to be tackled was he enormous clutter i had hanging around. after an initial attempt, a friend gave me this book -. fantastic - it helped me to prioritize and stick with my decisions. it's not hard to throw things out - but to let go of the psychological (though often illusory ) benefits we see in most of our clutter. this book helped me to cleanly make and execute those decisions - and I've not looked back once. to my surprise I've not (yet)been able to identify a time when i needed something that i threw out. my clutter was psychological weight - as Thoreau said - 'which i must push through the world before me' - extending the analogy - now i feel so much lighter.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2014
Arrived in good time, well wrapped and in good condition. My only wish is that it was written for a British household rather than American as some of the things referred to do not do not apply. However that is a preference rather than a criticism of the book itself.