5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book for women and men alike
Published on 5 April 2010 by Red Fox

3.0 out of 5 stars Kissing the Hag
I was a little concerned about reading this as I had tried to read Emma's other book Druid Priestess and ended up shelving it as I couldn't cope with her referring to herself as 'Bobcat'.
The subject matter interested me - honouring the darker side of womanhood 'the hag within us all' and the start of the book was interesting, then it got heavy going.
Some parts...
Published 4 months ago by Jax

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book for women and men alike, 5 April 2010
This review is from: Kissing the Hag: The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women (Paperback)
This is a superb book highlighting the many different aspects of women and the dark Goddesses. Reading this as a man getting on in years I found it to be very enlightening and awe inspiring. Emma does not pull her punches and I found myself on many occassions saying, "ah yes", now i understand. This should be a must read for any on a pagan path but also for men who wish to try and understand women a lot more than perhaps they do.
The anecdotes that pepper the text are a brilliant way of getting across a point, it matters not whether they come from the author herself and im sure that they must resonate strongly with the women who read this book.
One of the best books on women and the Goddesses that ive read and ive read many. Not afraid to mix it up amid the blood and mud, this is written for real. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 22 Oct 2009
I have learned much from Emma Restall-Orr's more recent books. She appears to have moved from a spirituality built around worship and ritual to an experiential nature-centred world view. Her recent books have thus offered no ready-made path but have challenged the reader to find their own through their interractions and their just "being" part of nature. Nevertheless, she acknowledges that, in being part of nature, we move through phases in our life and cycles in our lives. As a man, I found this book exciting and, personally, ground breaking. The book is "dense" in parts and one can almost feel the author struggling with a multitude of ideas and wondering what to put in and leave out. To get the best from the book then, I found it important to read it more than once - although this may be because I am not a woman! But as a journey through life's changes and a framework in which to make sense of things I was impressed. I have bought two copies, one to lend and the other to make sure I am not without one on my shelf. Read it, ask your partner to read it and then sit down and just talk. Amazing what you learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kissing The Hag - The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women, 27 Mar 2009
This is the most fantastic book I have ever read, so true to life and down to earth. When I first picked it up there was no way I could put it down. Each and every page leaves you wanting to read more. I have recommended this to all my like-minded fiends as well as my Mum. It is a book every woman should read wether they are Druid, Pagan, Christian, whatever. A well read book that is impossible to put down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kissing the Hag, 12 Dec 2013
Some parts made me uncomfortable due to the subject matter and although Emma says the stories are a selection of hers and those of other women it was hard to tell the difference.
Struggled to finish it maybe I will be able to re-read it at some point in the future, hence the rating of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love It!, 19 May 2013
Shan Simpson "Loki's Rainbow" (Seaforde, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book resonated with me on a deeply profound level, and I found it strangely liberating. I am now in the process of re-reading it, a little slower this time round, to allow myself the luxury of finding the subtle concepts and insights that make this a very special book. I would recommend it to any woman, and to any man who wants to begin to understand the nature of Woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 2 Oct 2009
Beautifully written. This book makes you reassess the various stages of your life, with a gripping retelling of that well-known Arthurian tale of the marriage Sir Gawain echoing through its chapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Honest, 18 Mar 2012
Lily Childs (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I wholeheartedly recommend 'Kissing The Hag: The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women' by extraordinary writer Emma Restall-Orr.

This book examines women's dark side, our primal qualities and needs, the incredible state that is a woman's body - and the functions we are supposed to keep quiet about in 'polite society'.

The author explores our progress through maidenhood to the crone stage - and allows us to embrace every moment.

Forget guilt, ignore those that shout of distaste and inappropriateness. Embrace who you are and what you do.

This isn't feminism, it's the bliss of the feminine. "I AM WOMAN"? Absobleedinglutely.

2.0 out of 5 stars lightweight, 4 Nov 2009
o .Overall if you want a good example of how woman age and emerge into the "Hag "or Crone,you would do well to not bother with this watery effort and go straight to Germaine Greers "The Change",for she tells it how it really is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Most Accessible Book I've Read, 16 Jun 2010
I'm not really being fair by entering this review; the style was so dry that I haven't progressed very far. I plan to get back to it one day but was very disappointed and I am therefore not inclined to try her latest book even though the title is appealing.

ARRAY(0xaae16d5c)