5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and sensitive book
I often meet Christians whose attitude is aggressive, judgmental and critical of others. I often suspect that they haven't read the Gospels and the message of Jesus in a long time. They have just listened to others' interpretations and don't stop to think for themselves.

Published on 29 Jun. 2010 by Polly

1.0 out of 5 stars Half of this is missing.......
Sorry, but I really had a problem with this book. Ok, I could just about about put up with the cheesy style of writing - dialogue between the author and God - come on!! But what really bothered me is how little there is about a response to that Grace. What is the point of that God given Grace if you don't respond to it - in how you treat people, whether you are honest,...
Published on 9 Feb. 2007 by Little Miss

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and sensitive book, 29 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Gospel of Falling Down: The Beauty of Failure, in an Age of Success (Paperback)

Any book, written by a human, is that person's thoughts. and that information is there for all of us to ponder over and wonder if they have a point.

I would recommend this book to anyone who does not like to be spoon fed information and facts. It is a good read, yet is challenging and inspirational. It is for people who have doubts, not for know-alls. And lets face it, it is impossible for anyone to know everything. The more I get to know, the less I realise I know.

I would like to see all Christians and all those who have been put off Christianity (because they have been misled) to read this book. It is an inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, honest and thought provoking, 18 April 2009
C. Simons "Midnight" (Uk) - See all my reviews
Like many I had a negative experience with the Church at a young age and got away from it as soon as I was old enough to make my own decisions. Since then I have explored many paths and belief systems. When I first came across Mark Townsend's books and website I initially wanted to give it a miss because I didn't want to read another account of how we are all accountable to a jealous, wrathful God for our sins (especially not one written by an ordained priest!). Out of simple curiosity I picked up 'The Gospel of Falling Down' and for the first time in a long time I sat down and read a whole book in one sitting.

Marks writing style is open, understandable, not patronising and above all, and something I find very rare these days, honest. He does not seek to 'convert' anyone or persuade the reader to his way rather he invites you to consider possibilities and hey, if you don't like them so be it! I could directly relate to many things in this book (as I think will many people) and found the exercises (only a few so don't be put off!) insightful and thought provoking. Reading this book is more like having a conversation with an open minded, compassionate and understanding friend.

I have since ordered his two other books and have booked a place on one of marks retreats later this year.

I would definitely recommend this book to those who like me like to explore all paths and thoughts to find those that are of most use

5.0 out of 5 stars Read and learn, 16 Jan. 2007
Mr. Andrew R. J. Sharp "Jo Sharp" (Herefordshire) - See all my reviews
This startlingly honest book reminds us of the simple truth that life can be difficult and confusing for all of us and that it's impossible to get everything right all the time. It also reminds us that this 'falling down' is an opportunity to learn and grow, not a reason to give up or give in to self-loathing.

It seems to be part of the human condition to set ourselves targets and aims and then chastise ourselves if we do not reach them. Whilst we should not become complacent, why do we set ourselves up to fail and then think everyone will think ill of us when we do? True friends will not and to Mark God serves as a true friend.

It was humbling, in fact a privilege, to read of Mark's struggles with what he has perceived as his failings and shortcomings as a clergyman. What is so touching is that is probably his very ability to admit to these flaws that puts him in a better position to understand those of us that look to the Church for guidance.

Mark's magic is a way of communicating difficult and complex issues in an accessible and engaging manner which makes perfect sense at a time when the Church is often accused of having little relevance to everyday lives and making little effort to reclaim congregations from the DIY stores.

If there were more like Mark with the courage to admit how hard the life of a young clergyman can be whilst trying to make a real difference to his community, people might feel more comfortable with the idea that the Church is not there to judge and criticise but to support and enrich our lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars The book for those who have nothing or everything to lose., 5 Sept. 2011
The Gospel of Falling Down is a book written by a Priest who has been taken to the edge and over it physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. What Mark Townshend found he shares in this very fine and illuminating book which will take your comfort zones and measurements of success and show them up in all their superficiality. Once it has done that it will turn your face to those we scoff at or pity and make us admire them. The Gospel of Falling Down is a guide to losing your world and winning the universe through becoming broken. It gives us a real insight into why Jesus spent His time with outcasts and saw more of the Kingdom of God in them than in the legally righteous.

The measure of a good book, for me, is whether it can get its point across to the average person effectively and without being condescending. Here Townshend delivers a message not with blinding theological and academic language, but in a way that most people might chat over a pint. Rather uniquely, he sandwiches his points with a mix of ancient and modern parables and illustrated magic tricks and images which will leave the reader experiencing what is written as opposed to supplying head knowledge.

The Gospel of Falling Down is a book for the person who feels that everyone else has arrived and they have been left behind. It is a book for anyone of any religious or non religious background and will serve you well if you have nothing left to lose or everything to lose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, simple and profound, 16 Dec. 2011
At a time of deep pain and distress in my own life, a wise friend said to me, "Hilary, it's not God out there trying to get in - it's God IN HERE trying to get OUT." Mark Townsend's beautiful and accessible retreat-in-a-book gives exactly this message - that our spiritual source is within us, if only we knew this, and that when we are in a state of human failure we are also in a state of spiritual grace.
This book touched me so personally that it is hard to write about it any other way. It comes from the heart and soul of a personal journey and as such has a voice of real integrity. It is not so much a book as an offering. The central message is explored with such dignity and gentleness, using both experience and illusion - used here almost as parable, and Mark's great passion and teaching tool - to demonstrate how close we truly are to the compassionate power we call God. Our constructed human self, the ego, and the desire for the `illusion' of success locks that power inside us. Unwilling or unable to admit our fears and our shortcomings we harden our spirit - until we are given the gift of failure, and we break.
The brokenness, the acceptance of powerlessness, is the magic moment.
Guiding us through this process of understanding, the book shows us how connected we truly are, with God and with one another, when we acknowledge and become open about our failures, our over-attachments, our bumbling attempts to `get it right'. When we finally dare to become fragile, we also become radiant. We discover that grace is limitless and always available, not granted for effort - that we do not earn it, but respond to it as our birthright when we freely strip away our prickly pride and fear, and become intensely real. It will resonate with anyone who has the courage to identify with its title and work through its pages. It deeply moved me.
This is not preaching, but humanity and shared experience. It absolutely sings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gospel of Being Human, 29 Mar. 2007
Simon Small (UK) - See all my reviews
In his preface, Mark Townsend sets out two aims for his book - that the reader may come to know their own true value as a human being made in the image of God, feel liberated and be able to relax into life; and, secondly, that the reader may discover a renewed sense of magic and child-like wonder. He succeeds wonderfully with both of these goals. He succeeds with the first by writing with compelling honesty about his own struggles in life and recounting his own on-going dialogue with God about them. This would be powerful stuff from any writer, but from a priest it is especially so. Deep within most of us, even if we are unaware of it, is an image of what a priest is - and a lot of it is based a picture of someone who does not struggle with life as we do; who is, perhaps, not quite as "human" as we are; who is suposed to be "perfect". Strangely, we know at one level that this is nonsense, but the archetype is very strong. Our projections can easily trap the priest into a belief that this is how he or she must be. Mark shatters this picture, to everyone's benefit. What emerges is an image of a true priest - someone called by God to walk intensely the holy path, and to teach and lead the rest of us from this experience. He succeeds with his second goal by drawing upon his expertise as a stage magician to show again and again how shakey is our perception of the world. Our certainties as to what we think we know, as to the "solidity" of the world around us, are underminded with alarming ease. This is a most unusual book. It is a book that can change lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gospel of Falling Down, 26 Oct. 2007
I've got to be honest, I sat down with this book with the intention to
review it. Boy did I get that wrong! It's amazing just how far I was
drawn into Mark's words. This wasn't just a book but an experience.
I never realized that failure could be a creative process. I think
Mark's Preface says it all.

You are unique.

You are beautiful.

You are made in God's image.

There is no-one like you.

You are Special.

You are once only.

You are never to be repeated.

You are incredible.

The above words are true for all people, yet many are unable to
truly accept them. As a priest my hope is that, through this book,
you will begin to discover your own true value as a human being
made in the image of God. I want you to close the final page feel-
ing somehow refreshed, liberated and able to relax, as if some
huge weight has been removed. As a magician my hope is that
you will have a renewed sense of magic and child-like wonder
brought back into your life. So, with this two-fold hope laid be-
fore us let us step together through the metaphorical wardrobe
and into a world of enchantment and discovery......follow me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Training Officer, Lincolnshire YMCA, 8 Jan. 2007
Mr. David Shenton (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
If there is one inspirational book you plan to buy this year, buy this one! Why? There are lots of trendy 'self-help' books around and on the face of it the title might suggest that this is one of those. Be assured, it isn't. Rather it is a remarkable, brave journey on which the reader is encouraged to discover the presence of God at the centre of failure and pain. The author does not at any point however seek to glorify failure as something to actively seek like some sort of self-flagulation, instead he points to failure as a natural part of being human.

Having read this book I feel better about myself, closer to God and better equipped to understand and deal with those inevitable moments in my life where things go awry. I hope with the author that you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and comforting, 27 Nov. 2006
Mark Townsend's book 'The Gospel of Falling Down' in an inspiring and comforting read, helping you to realise that to be imperfect can be beautiful and liberates you from the guilt of not being that perfect human being.

This book is written honestly and from the heart. I can thoroughly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emma, 9 Feb. 2007
Wonderfully therapeutic.

What a reassuring read, having been privy to Mark's pilgrimage for much of the last 19 years, to find that he has found a place where he can make sense of who he perceives himself to be and in doing so give comfort and hope to others who suffer self hatred, alongside the people who try and accompany them on their journey. Suitable for any faith or none!

The Gospel of Falling Down: The Beauty of Failure, in an Age of Success