5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent Read AND Inspirational
Inspirational is a much used word in reviews of this book but, for once, it is entirely justified.

Published on 31 Dec. 2009 by Cheshire Cat

3.0 out of 5 stars A worthy, but very slight, book
This is an OK book in support of a very worthy cause. It features some decent photography and the stories of the men wounded in action as well as those who have done their bit to raise money for Help for Heroes can be stirring stuff.

However, it's all too brief. Each piece is very short, so you don't get enough out of it and it would have been much more...
Published on 10 Jun. 2010 by CJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent Read AND Inspirational, 31 Dec. 2009
Cheshire Cat (Warrington, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hero Inside (Help for Heroes) (Paperback)

This is not however a dry, moralistic book but one that touches on the lives of but a few service personnel who have had their worlds seemingly turned upside down by the types of injuries that we have all sadly grown accustomed to seeing on news reports. The truly uplifting part of this book is however how they have all not focused on self pity but have got on with rebuilding their lives.

Really does put into perspective life's normal petty problems when you see what these brave heroes (and the description is fully justified although they would fail to see the relevance themselves)have and are overcoming.

A 5/5 unequivocal recommendation with 'Help for Heroes' getting a donation from each copy sold.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy tribute to exceptional people, 17 Jan. 2010
Ghostgrey51 (Britain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The tales of courage on the battlefield and in the aftermath are stirring and uplifting. There are so many good features in this collection. One of the many inspirational aspects is the bravery, faith and determination of the friends and relatives of the injured. Then there is the optimistic outlook of everyone involved. Good luck to them all. This is just the sort of book to read when you are feeling down and sorry for yourself; not to shake yourself out of 'it', but to read that there is Hope and there can be Confidence after tragedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 22 Sept. 2009
Felicity Wilson (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hero Inside (Help for Heroes) (Paperback)
Positve, uplifting yet emotional stories of our most recently wounded servicemen and women and the lesser sung heroes who are doing their bit by raising funds for the Help for Heroes campaign,
Best book I have read this year, I will be buying copies for my friends for Christmas,

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Inspiration, 28 Dec. 2009
Angela Lovelace "Angela" (Essex) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think when a lot of us hear the words "War hero" it makes us think of long ago battles like WW2, but in reading this book and the personal stories of courage and bravery over the odds was an eye opener, to those men and women who have and are still putting their lives on the line even as I type this review...

A really wonderful book. It brought tears to my eyes as I read the stories of service men and women who had given so much to defend this country. Many who had lost limbs, but determined to carry on and help raise funds for this very deserving charity despite what they had lost. It is a well documented book of stories and images behind the charity "Help For Heroes"

I had never heard of the charity before reading this book, and I hope that through sales it will raise the awareness of it. Beautifully photographed.

5.0 out of 5 stars But it to help BRITAINS HEROES, 24 Dec. 2009
Fiona Massey "jellyfi1" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is amazing, with fantastic photographs showing Britains TRUE HEROES.
This book catalogues the stories of just a handful of the BRAVE men and women of this country, who have overcome terrible injuries, inflicted in the line of duty.
This book really brings home just what these guys (and girls) are doing for every british citizen, very often laying down their lives for us.

I felt humbled and at times tearful reading some of the brave stories in this book, so my advice is, even if you aren't a book reading person, buy this book.
It's for an amazingly worthwhile cause, but the love and passion that has gone into making this book possible comes through on every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars H4H, 23 Dec. 2009
Funk (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is easily one of the most inspiring books i have ever read. Its main content is short stories from injured service men and women about their experiences in the forces, how they go their injuries, and how they are making the best of life with them. It also has short snippets by fundraisers working with Help for Heroes to allow them to continue their epic work. It shows the hidden cost of wars with the people with major injuries, but to see how these people keep going is a real testament to their spirit.

What really lends this book weight is how they have the Chief of Defence Staff, Vice Chief of Defence Staff, Head of the Army, Head of the Navy and Head of the RAF all lending a short peice about the fabulous work that H4H are doing.

Highly recommended to absoloutely everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really provocative read, 16 Mar. 2010
ratscat13 "ratscat13" (North East Scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this book as it came to my attention when I was looking at the Help for Heroes website. I am a supporter of the charity as my partner is a soldier.

The paragraph which I opened with is from the forward in the book which was written by Ross Kemp, he is a patron for the charity and so was privileged to be asked to write the forward. I think he put a lot of thought into what he wrote and it really is an excellent way to start this book.

There is no real story to the book, it features short stories from injured soldiers and fund raisers. I thought that this would be quite a tough book to read but after reading the first few stories I realised just how different it really is. The soldiers who talk of their accident and losing limbs have done so with their normal squaddie humour. For me this is how the men and women deal with the trauma and I really enjoyed reading it as it made for very interesting stories.

Overall this is a wonderful book which brings the reality of our soldiers to more people and it was nothing like what I was expecting as all of the stories do have happy endings, even when someone has lost several limbs they always end by telling us how they overcome their difficulties, I think it is made more special by the photos which show us the real heroes of the country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humbling really, 5 Jan. 2010
Victor Meldrew Mk2 "stefan morawiec" (Dorset) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I served in the Army for 21 years but rarely saw the likes of injury that these young, brave men have suffered. They have been terribly mutilated fighting a war that there is little appetite for in this country. I must admit to having received this book for free in order to review it and I felt that I had no alternative other than to make a contribution to their fund, as I have before to this very worthwhile charity. In a time where we have bailed out bankers plus paid them bonuses, witnessed our MP's once again taking advantage of the system that they created to feather their own nests, this book is all the more poignant in that many of these young men were paid less than £20,000 per year and when they were injured, the state paid them the minimum compensation available and in fact cases of RSI have received a greater award.

Salute the brave, this goes much further than parading our dead through Wootton Bassett, what we should be cheering is our young people, often maligned as being not up to our standards. What worth would you give to these brave young men who have sacrificed much for their country and sadly a charity has to support them when they return.

5.0 out of 5 stars The few heroes amongst many mortals, 7 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Hero Inside (Help for Heroes) (Paperback)
To quote Churchill,'Never has so much been owed by so many to so few.' These words spoken at the outcome of the battle of Britain could just as easily be used to describe the young men coming home with horrific injuries. Having been inspired to read this after the superb documentary on the BBC entitled'Wounded' which depicted two men returning from a firefight in Afghanistan which had left them seriously wounded where amputations were necessary to keep them alive.
To see how brave they were at such a tender age to be able to get on with life and get over their disabilities is a lesson for us all, as is this book. Not always as graphical as a real life documentary can be it does portray some of the brave military personnel that have more courage than a brewery. Not a book one reads to get enjoyment from but to fulfil that sense of bravery which can help to put our own lives into a perspective and no matter what our problem may be on that day just open the book to any page and instantly one can be humbled. Good luck to all the brave personnel serving in theatres of war. If ever there was a worthwhile charity then 'Help for Heroes' wins by a country mile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 5 Oct. 2009
Mr. K. M. Fogg "bulldogfogg" (Northampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hero Inside (Help for Heroes) (Paperback)
Forget the bucket of books on self coaching and reaching for goals. This book provides you with all the inspiration you will ever need to succeed. Buy it and fly.....courtesy of some of the bravest individuals on our planet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Hero Inside (Help for Heroes)
The Hero Inside (Help for Heroes) by Gill Shaw (Paperback - 17 Sept. 2009)