on 5 July 2012
Ms Miller has done a marvelous job of this long account of a headstrong and willful women, painstaking attention to detail combined with a natural flair for writing makes this an entertaining read!
review image
on 17 August 2012
The story of English nurse Flora Sandes is one that is little known and deserves to be told. Joining the Serbian army during WWI after volunteering to serve as a nurse caring for the wounded, she was the only British woman combat soldier of the Great War. For so many years only very rare copies of her own two-part autobiography and a 1963 biography "The Lovely Sergeant" were the only publications that were sparsely available to tell her compelling story. This new book is such a welcome addition to this relatively obscure story of a true heroine of the First World War. If you don't know who Flora Sandes was, my advice is to get this book and find out. You won't regret it.
on 20 August 2012
Just finished reading the book today. I never heard of Flora Sandes before. I saw the book in my local library and it caught my eye. I couldn't stop reading it. A remarkable story about a remarkable woman, a true heroine and a very brave woman who was way before her time. And also the touching and little known story of the suffering endured by the Serbian people whom Flora loved so much.
A must read!
on 3 November 2012
This was a wonderful read; I enjoyed a steep learning curve about issues in WWII told in the unforgettable words of a witness. It was balanced, brave, horrifying and tender.

Sandes was clearly a unique individual whose story deserves to be heard and who celebrates many other heroic women without whom much more suffering would have been endured. Sandes herself is in thrall to the silent bravery of the men she worked alongside and their gallantry in their treatment of her despite their terrible suffering; regarding her as an equal - at a time when women were not.

Flora Sandes gave her life and energies to providing support for the men she admired yet never loses her appetite for fun and adventure. A complex person embracing a complex nightmare, she shines a light on humanity with all its foibles. Read it and learn!
on 10 November 2012
I came across this completely by fluke. A friend reading a review in an old magazine in the coffee room at work handed it over as he knows I like biographies. Five minutes later it was downloading on my kindle for iPhone (I love technology!) and five minutes after that I was engrossed and reluctant to get back to work. I am always enthralled by people who steadfastly follow their own path despite the expectations of the day and attain Flora Sandes definitely qualifies! A fascinating read, well written and hard to put down.
on 4 September 2012
An English woman serving in the Serbian army during the first world war. You couldn't make it up!
Such an unusual story about a woman who craved adventure. Interesting to hear a story about the war from a totally different angle. She then donned her Serbian uniform once again to find action in the second world war then in her 60's and after that her family found her life style difficult to handle once she had to come back to Blighty. Well worth a read.
on 28 August 2013
I was fairly well versed with Flora Sandes' life as she lived in the same area I did, and I worked at the local archive centre. She was known to a lot of the older villagers and was certainly an enigma to the end. I am in the midst of reading the book and feel like I am there with her, but unlike Flora I would't have wanted to be in her shoes. The author has done a thorough job with her research, using many different avenues and the result is a well written and very detailed piece of work.
on 30 September 2013
Great read and full of information about this very brave lady. Not enough is put into prin t about the women who serve their countries during conflicts, be them soldiers nurses etc. I would recommend this book to any history buff interested in the great war.
on 27 August 2013
a gripping read with a warts and all biography of Flora Sandes and the men and women who worked with her. I am, biased as she was my fathers great Aunt but i learnt quite a lot that I hadn't known before and certainly more about the conditions she lived in.
on 20 February 2013
An absolutely brilliant book! Well written and thoroughly researched. A great way to get an introduction to recent Balkan history.