5.0 out of 5 stars Pauline of Raindrops Pre-School
This book is excellent for use with children 4 years plus. The children at my pre-school loved taking part with the actions and loved the music on the cd. Would highly recommend
Published on 3 Feb. 2010 by P. Blincoe

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful condition
Was awful. The book was ripped on every page and one page was completely ripped in half and just placed inside the book. If I wasn't so busy would have sent it back. The book went straight into the bin. Not a happy customer.
Published 10 months ago by Hollie Nolan

5.0 out of 5 stars Pauline of Raindrops Pre-School, 3 Feb. 2010
P. Blincoe "LoveUnited" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 28 Sept. 2009
This is a lovely book with good clear illustrations. The song is simple and the CD evocative of pirates and life aboard ship. (a bit Captain Pugwash!) I read it to a group of 8yr olds who loved it, and would recommend it for anyone younger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it at your peril shipmate, 4 Feb. 2009
J. Hoeksma "jebabylon" (London, England) - See all my reviews
A great kids book that should be much better known. If you only buy one pirate book this year, make sure this is the one!

But buy it at your peril! Because we've had it in the CD player of the car for the past 3-months and my daughter insists on the same version of the song, day after day... My brother accidently 'lost' his CD faced with similar popularity.

That aside the book is great fun, 2-year old joins in the songs, the actions "port side, starboard, forwards, backwards..." and loves it

5.0 out of 5 stars Portside Pirates, 25 Feb. 2010
Pat45 "Pats" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The CD which accompanies this book is a great highlight. Our 2yr old grandson loves singing & dancing to the songs on the CD. When there is a pause in the song he rushes to turn over a page in the book even when the book is upside down & back to front. A great favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should own one!, 7 Oct. 2009
I got this book for my daughter to listen to in the car, and it's now the ONLY thing we are allowed to listen to! The song is funny and catchy and my daughter (who is less than 2!) asks for 'Pirates, pirates!' as soon as we get in the car and claps her hands excitedly when the music comes own. I can't imagine this book without the CD, so it's definitely worth paying a little extra. A right treasure!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Pirates!, 1 Aug. 2010
My class of Year 1s loved learning this song and making up actions. Lively illustrations, enthusiastic singing on the CD and great lyrics. Friend's son also loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for preschool children, 29 Oct. 2010
Bought this book and CD for my grandson's birthday tomorrow so don't have a child's view but seeing the book and listening to the CD to check it was OK I found it most suitable for his 4th birthday as he has a pirate theme. Good illustrations and excellent words and tune

5.0 out of 5 stars Portside Pirates, 2 Dec. 2010
This is an excellent book for young children, great catchy tune and the pictures create verbal interaction with the children. Colourful and a book that is asked for continually.

4.0 out of 5 stars Catchy music and a beautifully illustrated book - what's not to like?, 4 Oct. 2011
My little pirate fan (who is just turned 3) got this for his birthday and loves it. I don't think the CD has left his CD player yet, in nearly a month - it's surprisingly catchy too (my husband and I have both been caught singing it with no children in earshot! Yes, the CD is a bit short - I'd have liked a few more songs - but it certainly appeals to its target market.

The reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 is that the book is a bit odd. It has the lyrics to the main song in, beautifully illustrated with interesting pictures to talk about with your child. However, it's a bit of a repetitive reading experience - great set to music, pretty dull without and extremely painful if Mummy has to sing it every night! It also has a few pages of pirate facts and a diagram of a pirate ship at the end - fine for me, but lost on a small child (it seems like the end of the book is suddenly aimed at much older children).

I'd definitely recommend this for pirate fans from 2 - 6 but you'd better make sure your singing voice is up to it! Once they've heard the CD then you'll not get away with just reading it ever again!

5.0 out of 5 stars sing/play/read, simple, catchy, fun, dance, swash-buckle, action, happy CD!, 8 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Port Side Pirates PB w CDEX (A Barefoot Singalong) (Paperback)
My 5 & 2 year old (boy & girl) loved singing along, playing percussion & dancing to this 'musical story' and still do (story is sung by someone who's voice reminds me of Tony Robinson - time team/Black Adder!). Now 6, my eldest still loves it - he sings along by following the words now that he can read, even though he knows it off by heart! The story has all the pirate essentials - storm, treasure, man over board etc...
Also there is a page at the back with simple 'single note at a time' music to play along (I have played along with the descant recorder) and there are also guitar chords.
Also there are a few pages at the back that tell something about a few real famous pirates in history.
Also there is a page about different pirate ship types.
Also there is a double page picture of a galleon that has a numbered key to learn the what each bit of it is called!

...I would recommend it for sure..we are not 'into pirates in a big way but this book we very much like!

Port Side Pirates PB w CDEX (A Barefoot Singalong)
Port Side Pirates PB w CDEX (A Barefoot Singalong) by Oscar Seaworthy (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2011)