5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful pictures, beautiful story
This book tells the story of the Tear Thief, who is a fairy-type person who collects children's tears for a magical purpose, and through the breathtaking illustrations and dreamy narrative we learn why genuine tears are the most precious of all. My children sat wide-eyed through the first reading and demanded it again the next day.
Published on 4 Dec. 2008 by Shelf Elf

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice enough story
While this is not destined to become a children's classic, it's a nice, gentle story which can be used to engage children in thinking about a wide range of topics, from night-time to their own emotions. It didn't captivate me, but children I've read it to have checked puddles when it's raining....!
Published on 19 Dec. 2012 by Mr D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful pictures, beautiful story, 4 Dec. 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotions and Transformation, 28 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Tear Thief (Paperback)
What captivated me about this story was the way in which the Tear Thief is depicted, both in the language and in the illustrations. The Tear Thief is an invisislbe sprite whose task in life is to collect tears and use them to make the moon shine at night. She is not always invisible though - you can see her reflection when she is in front of water or glass or another reflective material. Also, when she collects a child's tears, the child's mood changes for the better, so really she is a transformer. When a little girl who is crying about her lost puppy sees a strange and beguiling elfin creature reflected in a puddle, the two of them start a conversation. The Tear Thief tells the girl that she collects tears and that she really wants some of hers, because they are genuine tears of sadness, and these tears are the most precious of all. The girl gives her some tears and soon afterwards, she finds her puppy. The ending is lovely and I am not going to reveal it - you have to buy the book! you will not be disappointed; it is spellbinding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Beautiful!, 13 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Tear Thief (Paperback)
I really enjoy Carol Ann Duffy's poetry for adults and children, so I was interested to read this book for younger children. The reviews were encouraging. I sent for the book and was not disappointed. I am a primary school teacher and collect 'special books' to share with young children. This one definately goes into my book box. The language is gorgeous, sprinkled with similes. It almost made me cry. I can't wait to read it to the children. The illustrations are wonderful and really enhance the book. Do buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful book, 7 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Tear Thief (Paperback)
I bought this book as a present for a 5 year old girl and for also for my 5 year old son and they both loved it. What more, it is a pleasure for an adult to read this together with the children as the language is beautiful and is wonderfully complemented by good illustrations. I believe that the children can return to this book even when the are older and still enjoy the unique poetic story.

5.0 out of 5 stars the tear thief., 5 April 2011
This review is from: The Tear Thief (Paperback)
I bought this book for my wife for her Christmas and she absolutely loved it. Full of lovely pictures and a really wonderful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tear Thief, 16 Nov. 2009
Shauna (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tear Thief (Paperback)
This was a delightful story for children about tears and the many emotions and circumstances that cause us to cry. It is also another visual treat from Nicoletta Ceccoli. It was a really good book for little children who are sensitive and prone to crying, as they are sometimes made to feel like they are crybabies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible., 3 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Tear Thief (Hardcover)
I read this to my 4 year old daughter tonight - we both loved it. The story is wonderful and the illustrations simply beautiful!

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice enough story, 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Tear Thief PB w CD (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Tear Thief (Hardcover)
This is a beautifully illustrated book. I bought it for my seven year old daughter who was growing out of younger picture books and we really enjoyed sharing it, it captured both our imaginations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pristine quality and a totally beautiful and illustrated book, 18 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Tear Thief (Hardcover)
Described as used, but you wouldn't know it. Really pristine quality and a totally beautiful and illustrated book. We have read it every night since purchased.

The Tear Thief PB w CD
The Tear Thief PB w CD by Carol Ann Duffy (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2011)
Used & New from: £108.99