5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for children, 16 Jan 2009
I bought this book as I am currently studying the process of translating the Greek and Roman classics for children. I thought it was a great read, sure to interest any child and open their minds to Greek mythology and the classics. The book is full of brightly coloured pictures on every page and overall makes the story accessible to younger children. A great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful re-telling of Odyssey, 24 July 2011
Caterina (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Adventures of Odysseus (Paperback)
If you are looking for a re-telling of the Odyssey for a child aged between 5 and 11ish then stop here - this is the book you are looking for. I've spent a lot of time ploughing through re-tellings of Homer for children, with varying degrees of success, and think this is by far and away the best (with Mary Pope Osborne just behind). The language is clear and elegant - a model of good writing. It is easy for children to understand while conveying drama and excitement and beauty. The story moves along quickly. The illustrations are rather stylised for my taste (very Barefoot books), but there are a lot of them - on virtually every page - and my son loved them.
This version is so good that it really shows up other re-tellings. I looked forward to reading it to my son at bedtime, and alas I can't say that about everything I read him. I would urge you to buy it, and also urge the authors to produce a companion volume of the Iliad. From looking on Amazon I think there is an audiobook Iliad by the same authors - but a paper version would be great.
This deserves to be a real success for Barefoot books. It is wonderful that such high quality children's books are being produced. It shows real feeling for the story and I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Odysseus, 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Adventures of Odysseus (Paperback)
I have used this with my year 5 class and they thoroughly enjoyed it! There is enough killing to interest the boys and the illustrations are super. Used a copy from the library last year, but so good I had to buy myself a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab paperback, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Adventures of Odysseus (Paperback)
Beautiful book. When I got it I was a bit disappointed because it seemed rather insubstantial. I thought the stories would be lacking detail. But now I've read it (to my son, aged 6), I know this is not the case. It reads very well and the illustrations are lovely-in a stylised way. One to keep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Adventures of Odysseus (Paperback)
This is a fabulous book. My year 5 children are really enjoying it. Loads of fun lessons to be had from the book.
Would recommend to other primary teachers doing myths and legends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 26 May 2013
This review is from: The Adventures of Odysseus (Paperback)
As others have described I also have been looking for a while to find the right children's version to introduce the classics to my kids. I am delighted with this book! My girls aged 9 and 7 love it. The language is beautiful- lyrical without being fussy, clear enough for both children to understand, but with challenging words which my nine year old eagerly adds to her lexicon. I really enjoy reading it to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Adventures of Odysseus (Paperback)
Fantastic book with wonderful, bright illustrations and an interesting collection of adventures. Used with my year 4 class on our ancient Greece topic and they loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars pleased with purchase, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Adventures of Odysseus (Paperback)
arrived in time in good condition, required for reading scheme
product as expected and suitable for purpose
would have liked to have bought a set of 6 for my reading group

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Storytelling..., 8 Jan 2013
A. Entenman "artgruppe" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Odysseus (Paperback)
Starting from the visual, beautiful illustrations. Language is smooth, descriptions not too gory ( have been skipping a few parts whilst reading The Land of the Dead chapter to my six year old son who is already afraid of ghosts ), only flaw I could find was a few repetitions about Odysseus's prediction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb version for adults and children, 2 Oct 2012
E. Barnes - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures of Odysseus (Paperback)
Absolutely lovely version of the The Odyssey in a beautifully produced book. This is an excellent story to share with older children - 8 year old in our case - as a read-aloud. Everyone was enthralled by the story, which is beautifully written and - not surprising when the authors are storytellers - reads aloud wonderfully.

The Adventures of Odysseus
The Adventures of Odysseus by Daniel Morden (Paperback - 1 Aug 2010)
Used & New from: £25.00