Format: Board book|Change

on 4 February 2010
I have bought countless copies of this book which my daughter fell in love with at around 18 months and now nearly two tries to recite and have read to her every day. Alison Jay's images in crackle-glaze type style are both beautiful and interesting, not to mention original. THis particular book takes you through the seasons, the cycle of plant and animal life, weather changes and is packed full of little detailsin the corners of every page for children and adults to search out and plenty of heart-warming observational illustrations (a scarf thrown casually over a chair while two cats drink tea before a roaring fire, kids sledding, pumpkins and apples being picked etc.). It felt like I was going back in time in some way. This is quite simply charming, beautiful and poetic.
on 20 October 2010
This book is beautiful!! This was the first 'Alsion Jay' book that I was introduced to..I am now hooked! This book moves gently through the seasons and the illustrations are amazing. Each time you read the book there is something else to spot. Hold the page away and you see that the autumn picture is in the shape of a pumpkin, winter - a snow globe, easter - an egg. Alison Jays books have such a magical feel - just lovely to sit and snuggle with your children/grandchildren etc and get swept away. Don't hestitate to buy it - I will be buying many copies as gifts for young children. Take a look at other books buy Alison jay - you won't be disappointed.
on 12 February 2011
I love this book, my two year old loves this book... my four year old is obsessed with it. We read it (limited text), we play eye spy with it, we spot the ballon, we just love it. The illustrations are so pretty, the hours of fun are endless. Buy it!
on 24 October 2013
This book has been my son's favorite since he was just one year old. Now that he's four, he doesn't ask for it every single night as he did for a looooong time, but he still comes back to it again and again. And I don't get tired of it, either, because although the book's illustrations seem simple at first glance, they are actually crammed full of tiny details, little jokes and gags, and also sly references to some of Allison Jay's other books. I'll happily buy new copies of this book as gifts for friends, and we'll be keeping our own tattered copy of this book forever.
on 1 April 2011
Very few of us today take time out of our busy lives to listen to the sounds of nature all around us, so this book is a lovely reminder to us all to slow down and just LISTEN. Beautiful artwork by Alison Jay, which is full of fascinating detail and just that perfect bit old-fashioned, takes us through the seasons. Simple evocative rhymes and settings which will be familiar to children make this an ideal book to engage toddlers with the world around them. Lots to spot in the pictures and then, at the end, a page for every season with even more to spot. An enchanting book.
on 23 January 2015
One of the best children's books ever. My daughter loved it from aged 1 and still enjoys it ages nearly 4. Very few books have that kind of staying power. The text is enchanting and simple, and the illustrations are very detailed. Every time you read it you find something new, hence its continued appeal. I give this book in board book form any time one of my friends' kids has a special occasion.
on 21 December 2009
This lovely little book was delightful for the smaller child and for the little ones who are beginning to read.
on 17 September 2012
We bought this for our daughter when she was just seven months old, because we saw it when we were visiting friends. Now nearly a year old, she reaches for this every day and loves the pictures of the animals and insects, especially the crows, for some reason! There is so much detail in the illustrations that you can find something new to look at every time. Highly recommended.
on 11 February 2013
My son loves this book. I bought it for him when he was around 14months old, and became a favourite after the first read. Every page has so much to talk about. The "story" is only a small (but lovely) part of the book. I would happily put any of the illustrations in a frame on my wall. This has been read at least twice a day for the last 8 months :)
on 13 February 2013
This is probably the most read book in our house. Not only is it beautifully drawn with evocative text, it seems there is something new each time you read it, something you didn't spot before. My son always chooses which story he wants read aloud and even though i have read it hundreds of times i am always secretly pleased when he chooses this one.