on 11 October 2010
An excellent beginners book on steam engines - possibly the best basic book available. Sixty three pages full of facts, very good diagrams, and photographic illustrations. The book covers a wide range of steam engines and their applications. Steam locomotives are only briefly mentioned, but there is another book in the series covering Steam Railways. A very interesting appendix lists many contacts and places where steam engines may be viewed today. Although the book does much to stimulate further knowledge, unfortunately sadly lacking is a list of further reading. An excellent read for most ages and highly recommended.
on 27 June 2014
Failed to notice that this is a relatively short book when it comes to the number of pages. However, still a mighty good read if you've always wanted to know a bit more about the basic science behind how steam engines work.

It is well thought out in the way that it takes you through the development of this technology and it is well written too, so it isn't all dull and stuffy and it never talks down to the reader either.

All in all and despite it's compact form, it represents a good read and so I'd still recommend it for anyone who was looking to learn a bit more about the world of steam engines.
on 10 January 2016
I am just starting to try and understand the steam engine and how it works previous to this I was content to know that you had a fire which heated water created steam and away we go. Reading this book is giving me a lot more to think about without too much complication. Though I am a steam railway fan I still find this book very good to get an understanding of the steam engine.
on 22 November 2015
Its a lovely book. it arrived quickly and was packaged well. But it is only A5 size, not any bigger
on 19 December 2014
Basic book for younger children exploring the steam engines history
on 19 November 2015
Good book, but the similar one about Steam Railways is better
on 17 April 2013
I bought this from Amazon as a present. It looked ok and was what the recipient wanted and he was pleased with it.
on 26 April 2013
I choose this rating because I love beautiful pictures . I recommend this product to lovers of steam engines .