Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2014
I received this book as a present several years ago but only now read it (I started it a couple of times in the past but the lack of somewhat gripping plot and the absence of any deep meaning behind the explicit diary entries of the young girl made me abandon "100 Strokes of the Brush Before Bed" every time). I finished it today and, as you can see from my rating, I did not like it. It seemed a bit pointless, very juvenile, not at all insightful and quite a sad "search for love" of one [very] young Italian girl. Of course, sex sells, and I can imagine the uproar the book made in Catholic Italy, especially taking into account that Melissa P. (Melissa Panarello, that went on to write a few more books, which never repeated the initial success of "100 Strokes...", which sold over 2 million copies around the world) comes from a small Sicilian city.

To sum up, Melissa P. loses her virginity at the tender age of 14, at 16 she is having group sex with 5 men, she plays Lolita to her math teacher and dominatrix to a married guy she meets online. All of her sexual escapades she documents in the diary (which does not reflect on anything else in her life, it's just her sexual adventures with occasional sentence about her search for one true love thrown in). The said dairy, of which we are given extracts, is only about 160 pages long, it starts abruptly and abruptly it ends, with Melissa's quest for love over when she finds her prince (literally).

While the book has imminence, it lacks any insight into Melissa's brain, her background and why she came to be who she is. I hoped for clues, I searched for hint, but it seems all Melissa P. cared to document was numerous sex scenes, which, after the initial shock, became quite predictable and tedious.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2014

on 23 September 2014
Very brave. Writes beautifully- clearly a little pretentious in places- but she was very young when she wrote this. A masterpiece in its own right. To be appreciated properly for what it is by few - but this is true of all art.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2009
What a lovely book, so sad yet so erotic. What freedom this girl had, no family abuse here......So much is destroyed for people in their youth.
on 20 September 2008
Save your money! This book is not in the slightest erotic, and it is pretty badly written too. I very much doubt it was written by any fifteen year old tart; more likely a computer committee of sad old men & women.
0Comment10 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2013
Really rather sad that such a young girl should have had such complexes that she would consider behaving like this and also a reflexion on the scummy nature of Italian men ( Burlobuffone clearly is not the only pervert in Italy though probably the most high profile saddo ). There is probably a hidden agenda here: although her home life is not really discussed in any detail in the book one is forced to speculate that there must have been a strong element of abuse, either mental, physical or both.
on 1 January 2013
Poor story line. Boring. I found I had no interest in the main character. Don't read if you're after a page turner, you'll be disapointed.