Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 November 2012
I didn't put this book down until I finished it. Very well written with lots of surprises. You almost feel sorry for the first three wives!
on 24 July 2014
Enjoyed it from start to finish. The different personalities and how they can view the same societal conundrums so differently. Good read
on 25 March 2014
Lola brought her readers close to the Action, felt like we where right in the story with her. Reminded me of home. Every bit Nigerian.
on 3 January 2014
I found this book both funny and sad! I loved the cultural aspects of the book. It was a quick and enjoyable read. Well done Lola :-)
on 3 February 2013
Interesting weaving of several different aspects both of wives. husband and children. Well written and enjoyable. You won't be bored
on 15 August 2013
Very interesting story, you would not expect the ending. Very well written. It is a quite short story though ut ends on a good note.
on 12 February 2016
Wonderfully written book and full of intrigue and suspense. I could hardly put the book down. This book comes highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 7 April 2011
Described as Rabelaisian on the back of the book by one reviewer, after looking it up (!) I quite agreed. The more you get into the book the more the characters take on a rather 'grotesque' form.
Baba Sega, who has three wives, takes on another. This one is, unlike his other wives, university educated.
Two of his wives are not women you would want to cross, one having murderous inclinations, the other is a bit of a mouse. All have secrets, as the title suggests, and none want them to come into the open.
Baba Sega himself reminded me of a Mr Punch-type character. He gives them a roof over their heads, food and some standing in the community and expects to be treated with respect, obedience and deference. He has his own problems and trying to understand women and children comes very low in his list of priorities.
Their lives come to a head when his new wife is sent for tests to find out why she has not become pregnant and that is the beginning of the everyones secrets, including her own, surfacing.
I read this with a Book Club and though I would probably not have picked it myself found it quite enjoyable.
There is a bit of violence and a lot of body fluids spread throughout the story but that is in keeping, I suppose, with the Rabelaisian theme. (Now I know what the word means I may as well use it.)
All in all I'd say give it a go.
on 11 October 2014
Interesting, captivating I enjoyed the story line which was well elaborated. I will definitely recommend it to anyone to read it.
on 4 April 2014
This is an interesting look into an unconventional family. Lola Shoneyin's prose have a poetic quality. A quick and easy read.