5.0 out of 5 stars 24 years on, the real story of acid house, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Altered State: The Story of Ecstasy Culture and Acid House (Paperback)
Once upon a time lived an evil queen and her trolls, they called themselves conservative, we called them controlling tories, uncaring bastards who neglected society for individual gain...

I was 17 when i went to my first rave in 1991, and it was still quite new back then, still very very exciting. By 1991 the legal warehouse parties were still outnumbered by the illegal gatherings, specially round the area i lived in, Norfolk, and Cambridgeshire.

This book however, goes much further back in time, to the very roots of house music, from the gay clubs of new york to the gritty techno coming from detroit in the mid 80s onwards, as well as the disco scene which heavily influenced house music.

This is not just one persons account of the acid house/rave scene, there are tales from the perspectives of promoters, chief superintendents like the infamous Tappenden, the ravers, the criminal gangs, the DJs, the pioneers of many underground movements.

Halfway through the book im thinking, why no mention of the Hacienda? Or those Blackburn raves? I need not have worried, because Matthew Collin touches on this later in the book, as well as documenting the techno travellers of the free festival circuits that sprang up in the early 90's.

In all, these book covers the lot, in so much detail, and from my perspective, an ex oldskool raver who once went out every weekend to drop and go mental to the music, the book is a real trip down memory lane, remembering past parties that i almost forgot about, and faces and friends i met along the way.

Wayne Anthonys Class Of 88 i thought was a god read, it was entertaining, but no where near as informative as this one, Altered State is the real deal, and the author has done a fine job, and the revision was more than timely.

For all those who were too young, or missed the early house/rave scene, this book will educate you no end, and entertain you. For those who were there, you will love this book as much as i did, its 340+ pages long but i could not put it down and ended up reading it within 2 days, so you can guess that i thoroughly enjoyed the book and i whole heartedly recommend this read to anyone with an interest in this unique period of our generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elecrical Shamans, 2 Sep 2013
Having been there when some of this happened this was an essential read for me, i found it informative and well researched. It recaptured the magic which i felt at the time and broadened my own experiences and outlook...read it if u were there, read it if you wished you had been there...either way, its an important read for our times!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting !, 13 Oct 2011
I got through most of this book when I was in Norwich going to a electronica event Spangled, sometimes I feel like it was going off on one, but great especially after my own experiences in a altered state, I go through most of it at Norwich bus station while listening to a chill out music on spotify and also on the trip ! back through London, I feel the experience of taking ectasy changes you forever good or bad and this is always with me !!!

I know about the Sanctuary in Milton Keynes went there once to a Slammin Vinyl events and find it hard to get over the mc's as doesn't always go with the music i.e. original track that you hear and like, I went to exodus in Luton for the millennium warehouse party and they made a impact for the people etc.

What really got me was when I lived up North with Northern Techno Alliance / Inner City Techno and Planet Zogg and going Sheff stock, but I do prefer when it has a pop feel to, as can sound repetitive !

Altered State: The Story of Ecstasy Culture and Acid House
Altered State: The Story of Ecstasy Culture and Acid House by Matthew Collin (Paperback - 2 July 2009)
9.99