on 8 September 2012
I've subscribed to The Economist for many years. One of the things I admire is the care taken to achieve "house style". So when I got the job of editing our pensioners' newsletter I wanted some handy reference book that would help achieve literary consistency etc. The Style Guide fulfills this role admirably. Part 1 - the essence of style - is the section that I find most useful, rather less so parts 2 and 3 (American vs British English and the reference section). It can be a bit difficult to find something (when you know it's in there) so the overall index is helpful.

(And some of the entries are quite humerous.)
on 26 June 2013
Indispensable if you're writing for a living and lots of fun even if you're not. Book was produced as the house style guide for writers at the Economist. Covers things like when to use an Oxford Comma or when to hyphenate and what to capitalise, etc.

I think I'll be referring to it for many years to come.
on 22 April 2014
Having been subject to a progressive 70's education in the UK and schooling in the rural US I needed some reassurance when taking up duties as editor of a specialist medical society newsletter.

Definitely fulfills its role. Good guidance for clear writing.
on 14 February 2014
Make no mistake, most people could improve their writing no end by following the rules in this guide. On the other hand "The Economist" is one of the most heavily edited English-language newspapers. One of the reasons for that is to make sure that the English is clear for an international readership not all of which has English as a mother-tongue. Consequently this guide has a number of idiosyncrasies. Arguably the Chicago Manual of Style is the better source.
on 19 April 2013
This is a fully comprehensive, excellent guide for any editor or copy editor. It is written with clarity and you'll find a refreshing sense of humour within many of the explanations and examples. It takes pride of place among my various guides, alongside the invaluable ODWE.
on 12 May 2014
Needed to buy this for a client's work - polishing website text. It's set out clearly, not too bogged down in unnecessary waffle and is perfect for my needs.
on 1 June 2013
I use this all the time when producing reports for work - I couldn't get by without it now and am considering getting another copy for home!
on 6 April 2013
I bought this as it was recommended to me (I'm studying translation into English). It is not immediately obvious how to use it but once you work out the structure it is a very useful reference book when writing in English.
on 30 December 2014
Excellent, witty and extremely useful !
on 18 October 2013
Nobody, person ou newspaper, institution ou publishing house, has never succeded to publish, as a book of style, a masterpiece like this one!