on 7 April 2013
A summary of all the top perfumes from the first book. Plus updates on the effects of reformulations between the two books.
on 10 November 2013
Really good for dipping into. Gives good descriptions as to the characteristics of perfumes and helps you know what to look for. There are various classification systems contained within, such as best floral, best for men, best for value. The descriptions of more indulgent options sound quite enticing.
on 2 July 2012
I have kept all my bottles of perfume for many years so was gratified to find that without exception, all my favourites were 5 starred and it gave me the opportunity to try some new scents which I am now thoroughly enjoying.
This is an immensely enjoyable, funny, readable trawl through around 1900 perfumes , some in production and some not which was frustrating (hence it dropped a star) because contrary to the beliefs of Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez, these discontinued scents are not generally available now even if you Google them !
Reading the book though, it became obvious that the authors have some kind of "down" on the House of Caron which I don't quite understand - I have a 1928 bottle of Tabac Blond and a modern one and I find almost no difference in the fragrances after 10 minutes on the skin and it's the same with En Avion - again, I have an original '30's sample and a newer one . It frustrates me that the duo can give 5 stars to discontinued scents and then only two to En Avion on the basis that it has been reformulated and no longer resembles the original - which is untrue - its probably as close as it can get with the bans on some additives that the" perfume Police" have imposed .
I do believe that modern Caron fragrances entirely composed by Richard Fraysse are disjointed and somewhat "jangly" on the nerves, my husband hates them with a passion.(Accord 119, Lady Caron - way too "shouty" ) .
I would also take issue with them over the two Sisley fragrances , Eau de Soir and Soir de Lune which , if you read this guide , would put you off buying them (and they are not one star perfumes imo) and also the House of Creed which also does not come off well in this guide (probably with good reason in Creed's case). It's a good job that perfume is subjective or heads would undoubtably roll !
I think the guide needs updating badly as two or three years in perfume sees massive changes to composition and availability so I believe we are due an update.
The book was dedicated to "the perfumers" and I think some of them would have been in tears had they read the pithy criticisms TS and LT and maybe the new edition, if it happens, should be dedicated to scent lovers everywhere - an invaluable tool for the perfume buyer but not infallible !!!
on 19 July 2013
Beautiful, funny, and informative all at the same time. The original Perfume Guide sparked my deeper interest and passion for perfumes, this is a good travel version. Lovely present, too.
on 1 October 2013
Very descriptive and wonderfully written book . It precied some of the larger books words . Very useful in prepairing the mind in what to expect of the perfume .
on 6 January 2016
The Kindle version does not have a contents or index page, so it is more difficult to look up a particular item. Most of the text comes from the earlier book but the information about the latest formulations is helpful.
on 29 March 2014
A totally excellent little reference book.

Great - really great - description and history notes.

Would recommend this book to anyone.
on 26 March 2016
For people who love perfume this book is truly a gem: insightful, inspiring and with a refreshing sense of humour.