5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Concise enough to be easy to use, but covers everything I have wanted to look up so far. Well worth having.
Published on 28 Nov 2010 by AC

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but let down by an inadequate index
Published on 22 Jan 2012 by F. Hubbard

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but let down by an inadequate index, 22 Jan 2012
F. Hubbard (HALIFAX, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Economist Style Guide (Hardcover)
I bought this because a company I was working for uses it as their style guide. I had previously used the Oxford Guide for Writers and Editors as my guide, and that is certainly better laid out, being alphabetical. This guide is alphabetical within topics, but within which topic a particular item is likely to be is hard to work out sometimes, and there are not always enough examples of what they are saying. It has got quite the most useless index of any reference book I have come across, so that is not much help either. I have found I have spent a long time looking for the facts I'm checking every time, and sometimes still not found what I was after. I can't say I'm that impressed, what with the difficulty of finding items and the fact that some of the rules they have seem at odds with those in use by most other publications these days. On the other hand, some of what they have to say is interesting. On balance I would not use it except for companies who insist on it and also as a source of interesting nuggets of information. Pretty expensive, too, for what it is. An on-line or Kindle version that allowed for interactive searching would help, but I still didn't care for it much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Economist Style Guide (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars The place to go to get the info on writing you need to know., 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Economist Style Guide (Hardcover)
I have never met more straightforward, clear information on how to write. Absolutely essential reading for anyone hoping to be published.

4.0 out of 5 stars Precise and thorough in function, 8 Aug 2012
Doc Barbara "Barbara Daniels" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Economist Style Guide (Hardcover)
This is not really a general style guide to English: it is aimed at training a writer to produce articles etc which would fit the house style of The Economist newspaper and, as such, it is excellent. This means that, if you want to cultivate a clear, professional, no-nonsense manner of writing, this guide is tailor-made for you but not for the more imaginative writer. There is valuable advice on lucid English: never use a long word where a short one will do; don't be stuffy, hectoring, too chatty, boastful, didactic etc and is is excellent on the differences between American and British usage. There is also a very helpful reference section with facts such as company names, world data, use of hyphens and proof-reading symbols. Overall, it is a good buy if it fits your specific purpose as it would be good for any form of formal reporting. Highly recommended as such.

3.0 out of 5 stars book, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Economist Style Guide (Hardcover)
Did not end up using very much so unable to give an acurate account of the book at the moment.

The Economist Style Guide
The Economist Style Guide by The Economist (Hardcover - 18 Mar 2010)
17.15
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available