Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 15 September 2004
This is fairly average book. It is very informative yet consisted of little details. The list of supernatural being is also restrictive to a selected few, the author like to focus on more popular ones. Which exposed the flaw, as the beings that get mention are well known, I thought that it would provide me with some additional information which I don't know. However, that is not the case at all, after finishing the book I really felt that I knew about the subject more than the author does.
This book is NOT for a fervent student of demonology. It content is only at beginner level. Provide some interesting read for people who has just began their interest in the subject.
on 12 July 1999
I thought this book was a fast and interesting read. Its theory on fairies and fallen angels, is a different approch of most common related publishings. I found this book informative and interesting, but one must take these related subjects with a grain of salt, for many foklore has many contradictions, for they are mearly entertaining and historical.
on 8 November 2002
I really like the book! Not all demons (God forbid!) are mentioned here, but the few that are demonstrates that we should be thankfull that we live at all... Just mentioning a few: "The Kappa, a life-sucking amphibian..." "Kumbhakarna, the glutttonous Rakshasa brother of Ravana..." and so on! Brrrr!!
The authors know their stuff and although it is only presented in brief terms it is done very well. Use the book as a first-trip field guide (like a map you get for free in an airport). If you want to know more, at least you know the consequences.
on 28 May 2015
Along with a chapter of 'Who's who in the domicile' this field guide covers creatures, some familiar, others not (at least to me), divided into the various realms of 'Water', 'Mountain', 'Forest' and 'Desert' in what I felt was a fairly comprehensive guide albeit one restricted by its relatively short length.

Covering demons, vampires and so on from all manner of cultures this is a wonderfully descriptive read in which the authors take us through not only a description of the various creatures but also the lore surrounding them and, perhaps most interestingly of all, 'disarming and dispelling techniques' that tradition has wards them off.

Fascinating stuff, I'd suggest this as a great reference book for all those interested in the 'supernatural and/or folk lore.

Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper.
on 23 October 2008
You could spend lots of money on all kinds of folklore & mythology books, and still not have as much information on the "darker entities" as this book. Each entry is very detailed with description, habitations, sightings, etc.

I think this book would make a great gift for anyone interested in the supernatural, or even RPG GM's looking for new creatures to torture their players.
on 17 July 2014
Great efficient seller
on 28 September 2009
I found this book to be quite nice. The descriptions are generally accurate in regard to traditional beliefs, but the style is friendly and not boring.
on 18 August 2011
I love the fact it includes both a description of the spirit and the lore behind it- if not all of the lore, the most definitive, which frankly makes sense considering how much lore there is in various cultures referring to just one creature. If you've only a passing interest in spirits as an academic, the lore will help you with original spooky stories come Halloween. Come to think of it, so will the descriptions.........
on 6 February 2012
This book is really fun to read.
If demons and paranormal creatures are your thing this is your book.
I would recommend this book to people that are interested in this sort off stuff.
on 19 February 2013
was interesting to read about the mythology of other cultures and a unique spin on what a demon is. was a great help in my research for my stories. recommended to anyone. thank you.