5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for any parent of a teenager.
This book is brilliant. As the mother of a teenager I was able to relate to every page in this book. It was spot-on! It gives good advice and explains why teenagers act the way they do. After reading this book I realised that my son is very, very normal whereas before I was sometimes seriously wondering where I had gone wrong!
If you have a teenager I would...
Published on 7 April 2002 by A. B. Maurer

3.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness other parents suffer like me
Doesn't tell you how to stop teenagers misbehaving, but tries to show you why they do and say the awful things they do. Reassuring to know that others suffer as well and that you are not alone in living with the child from hell. Sadly this seems to be part of the growing up that they go through and it seems to happen too early in their childhood.
I have a 14 year...
Published on 8 May 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for any parent of a teenager., 7 April 2002
If you have a teenager I would strongly suggest you read this book. I have read quite a few books on adolescence but in my opinion this one is by far superior to any other of its type.
Thank you Tony Wolf and Suzanne Franks for creating such an amazing insight into the adolescent way of thinking and how we as parents can best handle this.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have a teenager you MUST read this book!, 12 Feb 2007
I have spent the last 8 months hurt, betrayed and taken for granted by my 16 year old son. From a happy-go-lucky boy, he turned into a monster! I was so desperate to understand why, that I decided to find out if there was book which explained it all. "Get Out of My Life" was the answer! I related to each page, highlighted all the points which I associated with and put little yellow tabs to take me to sections which I might encounter again! I have also recommended it to all my friends who have teenagers. This book is a MUST READ, especially if you have a teenage son. I've now learnt how to back off, be firm but know when to button it! Thank you so much Anthony Wolf and Suzanne Franks for recognising that we need the help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this before your children reach adolescence; it could save your sanity., 17 April 2011
This review is from: Get Out of My Life: The bestselling guide to living with teenagers: But First Take Me and Alex into Town (Paperback)
If your children are not yet teenagers, buy this and read it now. I thought I knew it all. Wrong! My teenage son left to live with my ex husband and I have not seen him for 16 months. I wonder now whether the support this book offers to parents of teenagers could have prevented such a tragedy in my life. It offers a true insight into the psyche of teenagers alerting unsuspecting parents of how difficult life is going to be. This book really does tell it like it is with absolutely spot on examples of the tussles and strife that typify the teenager-parent relationship. It explains why teenagers act the way they do especially for me as a mother, it describes the different ways in which boys and girls relate (or not) to each parent. It explains that the mother-son relationship that you had for the first 12 or 13 years of parenthood will change probably for the worse. It explains the separation processes that mark the end of the baby era when your child really needed you and now they don't. I did not fully appreciate how much the relationship would change until it was too late. As you read the scenarios in the book it makes you realise how our selfish, egocentric, lying teenagers are actually just trying to deal with growing up only it doesn't feel like that when you are in the thick of it. It points out the pitfalls and suggests a few practical approaches to help reduce the escalation of warfare. Written in a clear and easy style, I would recommend it to anyone who is cavalier enough to think they can handle a stroppy teenager. Read it. It could save your sanity.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have given this to SO many people..., 25 Jun 2008
This book helped me maintain my sanity when my daughter was really scarily off the rails for a time. It offers practical ( and, I can assure you, successful) strategies for dealing with common situations. It enables you to step back a little and realise you are not alone and - hugely important - it is upbeat, reassuring and enables you to LAUGH and put it all in proportion.
I haven't seen this new edition but I hope that it has been brought up- to-date and includes something on self-harming, which is now such a worryingly common phenomenon and which wasn't mentioned in the previous edition.
Finally - this is not just a book for those with 'problem' teenagers but offers many more general insights and helpful ideas relevant to the parenting of all teenagers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on teenagers..., 30 Sep 2011
I bought lots of books to help me with my teenager. I read this one last because I thought the title made the content likely to be rubbish. I couldn't have been more wrong. IT IS THE BEST BOOK ON TEENAGERS by a country mile.
It tells you how teenagers are, then how to deal with them. And most importantly, that you are not alone.
This was the only book, I found, that tells you what to say back, when to say it and when to walk away.
In the end I came to realise that the title was perfect. I keep this book on my bedside table and dip into it when my teenager is driving me nuts. Absolutely invaluable. I buy it for my friends too!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has given me back my sanity!!, 27 Feb 2004
By A Customer
I couldn't remember why I acted inconsiderately and irrationally as a teenager, so I didn't understand why my teenager was acting like this! I spent sleepless nights feeling really hurt and angry because of her words and actions before I read this book. It has put my mind to rest on a lot of teenage behavioural issues. You might not be able to change your teenager's behaviour after reading this book, but at least you'll be able to deal with it in your head and you won't feel so frustrated anymore. Well worth a read I think, even if you haven't got children it helps you realize why the teenagers of today are they way they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic down to earth read!, 28 Dec 2009
This book offers good common sense advice. I have very much enjoyed reading it and it has helped enormously with the relationship I have with my teenage children. It made me laugh out loud at some points. It is so true to life and the conversations were mirrored ones I have had with my teenage son. Buy it you wouldn't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant value for money - would recomend to any parent of a teenager !!!, 9 Nov 2009
To put it mildly, I was frought with the "joys" of having both a teenage daughter and son .....I thought I would go mad. I needed help, and turned to Amazon and found this book, and I am glad that I did. I would recommend it to anyone with teenagers, who has had teenagers, or who will have teenagers. It was amusing, it sounded as if it had been written for me, and most importantly, it showed to me that I wasnt the only one going through this stage, and how to deal with issues as they arose.

I also found it helpful that the book constantly reminded you that this was only a stage they were going through, this wasnt to be forever, and I took comfort in that. I can honestly say, my house, and attitude has changed, and I am actually enjoying my teenagers, and realising how much fun they can be....

3.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness other parents suffer like me, 8 May 2002
By A Customer
I have a 14 year old daughter who has more good days than bad at the moment, but also a 12 year old daughter who has more bad than good, having been the perfect mother's little helper all her life!
Still, I hold in there and hope that we will all be friends in the not too distant future.
The book is being passed on to a similarly abused friend with 2 daughters!

5.0 out of 5 stars ESSENTIAL reading for parents of teenagers !!, 12 Aug 2009
J. Street "gingan99" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This BRILLIANT book quite possibly saved me from insanity whilst trying to deal with my Jekyll & Hyde teenage son. It is so painfully accurate that I laughed out loud reading it, at a time when I didn't much feel like laughing! The book explains WHY teenagers behave the way they do, helping me to "chill" about tantrums and demands, and not take them personally or be hurt by them. Because of this book I have made the effort to develop closer working relationships with my son's friends parents, and gained a lot of support in the process. I keep the book by my bed and read relevant sections when needed - READ IT AND BE SAVED FROM TEENAGE HELL!