5.0 out of 5 stars Time-tested advice to help you be a better manager or employee, 31 July 2007
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Unwritten Laws of Business (Hardcover)
This book of short rules or "unwritten laws" harks back to 1944, when W.J. King, a mechanical engineer, penned a pamphlet of management advice for the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). In an era when most training happened on the job - if at all - this must have been a welcome guide. The little book has a big history. In 2005, the cover of Business 2.0 magazine featured a self-published pamphlet called Swanson's Unwritten Rules of Management. The author, Raytheon CEO William H. Swanson, basked in success after Jack Welch and Warren Buffett lauded his business homilies. But, public exposure revealed the influence King's little-known 1940s manual had on Swanson's work, which drew some rules from the older booklet. Although most of the 61 adages are familiar, even trite, they bear reviewing in their new official format, as revised by engineer James G. Skakoon at ASME's request. The ideas may be old, but they seem relevant. Only the mode of communication is frozen in time, since King and Skakoon don't mention e-mails, cell phones or PCs. Their advice ranges from hot-button topics, such as ethics and fair, firm management, to quaint references to personal hygiene. Even if you've heard these old reliable rules before, look again with an open mind. We promise there's a chestnut here for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wrinkled Wisdon, 14 Aug 2009
Mr. R. W. Yorke "Book wisdom" (Warrington UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Unwritten Laws of Business (Hardcover)
I discovered this book when I was in my 60's. I have worked at all levels of business from the shop floor to the boardroom. I only wish someone had given me this book when I was in my 20's, I would have benefited enormously from its pearls of wisdom. Therefore, if you are a young businessperson just setting buy it, read it and learn. If you in your prime buy it for a young person whom you admire and want to see get on, but read it first you may still learn something as I did.

Bob Yorke CEO RWY Consultants Warrington 2009

The Unwritten Laws of Business
The Unwritten Laws of Business by W.J. King (Hardcover - 5 April 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01