Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 August 2007
Reading Avril Saunder's "What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye" brought back nostalgic memories of being brought up in Glasgow during WWII, and reading about familiar places. My older sisters frequented most of the the dance halls mentioned in this book during the war; especially the Locarno. Naturally, this story will be appreciated by many Glaswegians who will be able to relate to some of the fictitious families talked about in this story. Avril Saunders has done a remarkable job in bringing her interesting characters to life. I look forward to her next book, because I have to find out how the happy young couple, Linda and James Alexander fared out (?).
on 12 September 2007
For anybody over 40 this book will take you back to a Scotland you will relate to I enjoyed dipping into the lives of all the character good and bad and would recommend this jolly good read to anyone.
on 3 May 2006
When I heard about this novel I could not wait to get my hands on it..being a Glaswegian myself I wanted to understand and learn how other families managed in the 50's and 60's..and to be honest I could not stop reading it once I started....the story was told in a very orderly way and it was easy to follow.. It was a very emotional and sad story but also had its light hearted and funny moments.....I would definately recommend this book.
on 13 March 2006
While taking a family holiday, I ran out of reading material and borrowed this wee gem from my Mother after becoming intrigued by the synopsis. An innocent, bittersweet and romantic tale of growing up in Glasgow....you'll laugh, you'll cry...but most importantly you won't be able to put it down. It left me wanting to get to know the MacGregor's more so I do hope there's a sequel in the pipeline!!
on 10 March 2006
Excellent reading!Happy and emotional! It makes you realise just what ordinary people went through during World War II. There is some really funny parts when it gets to the 1960's. I couldn't put this book down until I had finished it! I felt like I was living through it all. Thoroughly recommended!
on 11 July 2007
I bought this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has been passed around my family and is now on the 6th person. Everyone has agreed that it is excellent. I loved it so much that I can't wait to get it back to read it all over again.

The author has captured the era perfectly. It brought so many memories flooding back for me. I felt like I was a child again, back in 1950's Glasgow. As it went into the 1960's it was just as I remembered things in Glasgow in those days. All the characters were great, I could relate to them and knew people just like that! I laughed and I cried my way through this book.

I love the innocent/true/nostalgic style this author writes in and I'm desperately hoping that there is a sequel coming up. I want to know what happens next!

All that's left to say is well done to the author `Avril Dalziel Saunders'! I left Glasgow for USA over 40 years ago and you transported me back in time back to the days of my youth in Glasgow. Thank you so much!
on 10 March 2006
My father put me on to this book, being from Glasgow himself. I found it a wonderful read and an amazing insight into growing up in Glasgow in the 50's & 60's, as well as what Glasgow was like in the war years.
on 7 March 2006
I was engrossed in this book straight from the start, a very well written piece that touched my heart and in parts made me laugh and cry in others as I could relate to it to a certain extent. Well researched and most definately will be recommended.
on 17 April 2013
I LAUGHED AND CRIED MY WAY THROUGH THIS -SO MANY MEMORIES AND ASSOCIATIONS WITH GLASGOW IN THE FIFTIES AND SIXTIES .THANK YOU AVRIL FOR A GREAT READ. I REALISE THIS WAS BASED ON REAL EXPERIENCES AND EVENTS ,PEOPLE AND LOCATIONS AND IT COMES THROUGH AS A VERY TRUE RECORD.
on 3 September 2013
I didn't enjoy the first few pages, but I stuck with it, I chose it because I recognised some of the places and thought it would be good to go back to the past in my head, in my opinion it wasn't edited very well, but it was her first book, good luck with future books