5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
This is one of the greatest books I've read. It has so many layers - stories of the future including climate change, but also much of the present such as family relationships. Best of all, it's a really easy read - no pretentious language to get on the way of the story. It made me think a bit more about what's happening to us all.
Published on 6 Sep 2008 by R. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure
This story took me quite a while to get into - its a strange mixture of believable and not quite believable glimpses of the not too distant future. However, I did find that I couldn't abandon it and once the story got going and moved away from the endless descriptions of fertility struggles I enjoyed the main characters and their journey.
Published 15 months ago by Miss L

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 6 Sep 2008
R. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest climate change book this decade!, 7 May 2009
Ms. K. P. Mitchell (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ice People (Paperback)
This is the first Maggie Gee book I read and it will be the first of many - I am now a devotee... What a brilliant writer. The Ice People turns many contemporary debates on their heads or takes them to their extremes. Global warming has slowed down the onset of the next Ice Age, but when it comes to Gee's people, it arrives with terrifying speed and plunges our pampered populace into panic; their descent into base animal survival mode is swift and terminal. Meantime, racism does an about-turn as northern refugees vy for asylum in Africa; sexism rules and through the eyes of our hero (Saul) the men are still missing the point and wondering 'What did I do wrong?'... I'm sure Gee had the greatest fun creating her own dystopia. I certainly enjoyed reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mbknees, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Ice People (Kindle Edition)
A bit drawn out, but as a sci-fi fan this is a good read and like 1984 and Brave New World, a bit prophetic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Ice People (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars One quarter moisturising cream, three quarters frosty soul, 1 Feb 2007
Mr. P. J. Morton (Rossendale) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ice People (Paperback)
I just finished Maggie Gee's 'The Ice People' and it was really absorbing. It's an amazingly fast, vast book, rocketing through one man's life story and chronicling the messy, clumsy love he shares with his partner against the extraordinarily unpleasant and convincing end of Europe as the new Ice Age comes in (dated around 2030AD.) Shades of the classic apocalyptic visions of Orwell and Huxley are obvious, and it stands against them in quality, too. It's perversely humourous, and while the onset of disaster is unrelenting (and the finale, the staggering sequence of nightmares that rips apart the few last bonds) it's not without glory and hope, but it's not held in the arms of Civilisation, it has been reclaimed by the earth, the birds - ironic because mankind's greatest love at the end are Doves, synthetic children and lovers to some extent, replacements certainly - and the children are the ones who escape, out of control, beyond the understanding of the adults, creating fear and disgust for them (but not for us, the ones who are distanced from this vision of earth, warmly knowing that it's not Our Children, not Our Ice Age, as they would feel the same about us.)

It's a delicious achievement, and has managed also to weave in one element that I feel is missing from books such as 1984 - in those it is a certain power that takes over due to the common man's passivity; in this it's simply consumerism, a more convincingly modern threat. Rather than being forced into war and poverty to set the scene, we simply follow the path we're already on. Thus our hero manages to be much more responsible for the calamity just for existing - and yet ice ages here is inevitable, so in other ways much less so. It adds a depth, a modern twist that is missing from other efforts. There is also much more blindness - Saul constantly asks why his lover, Sarah, is so blind, even to the end. And yet the key points of the climax are while he is under a blind rage, one he can barely acknowledge, one that he refuses to admit scares people and yet he relies on its power again and again - and even finally when it is reflected back at him, he denies its power. And so another parent loses another child. One generation slips away, as it always does, but this time there is no following...Read it - it's great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Freezing Relationships in a freezing world., 18 Dec 1999
This review is from: The Ice People (Paperback)
This book is easily read in one sitting. It is exiting and bold in it's vision of a future that propells our imaginations to question our present. The important socio-ecological themes such as climate, population and race blend to paint a tale that serves to remind us that there is a need for relationships between men and women that goes beyond ideology- the survival of the human race. Gee inteligently parables the interests of the two sexes' priorities for survival in this moving, exiting and relevent story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, dystopian fiction for adults, 29 April 2014
C. o'connell "claire b" (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ice People (Kindle Edition)
Excellent, this is like dystopian fiction for adults. Its a deep and thought provoking commentary on the evolving roles of men and women in a not too distant society that is struggling with infertility. All this set in the gradual creeping on set of an ice age. The role of the Doves is creepy and surreal, a nod to the idea of machines "taking over". The idea of feral children surviving to inherit the world is a theme I saw recently is "The girl with all the gifts" and Liz Jensen touched on it briefly in The Uninvited. I really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literary SF at its best, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Ice People (Kindle Edition)
Wow. An amazing book that stuck with me long after I finished it. An excellent novel in terms of characterisation, plot, pacing and any other metric you care to use. Like the best SF, it explores human nature in depth. There are no heroes in this book, only misguided people trying their very best to do right by themselves and their families.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable and Haunting, 24 Aug 1999
This review is from: The Ice People (Paperback)
Easy to read, yet full of interesting and provocative ideas, I found this book to be very frightening but also very believable. It really does linger in the mind long after completion. My favourite book of the year so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars A harrowing vision of the 21st century, 18 Jan 2000
This review is from: The Ice People (Paperback)
This is a most compelling and haunting book. It is a highly imaginative yet disturbingly credible vision of the world's destiny.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Ice People
The Ice People by Maggie Gee (Paperback - 15 May 2008)